How did you find out about Frogatto?

I saw the banner ad on the Wesnoth website. Now, I’ve beaten it and my nieces and nephew have gotten the bug!

From Wesnoth forums 8)

Like many others, I have seen the banner on the Wesnoth website and decided to try it. I am not a really active poster in the forum, but I am following the Wesnoth project from a few years.

Wesnoth appears to be the great connector. :slight_smile: Dave made Wesnoth, I introduced Guido to Wesnoth, where they met and somehow decided to make Frogatto, and then they asked me to make Mac builds, and then Jetrel came to do all kinds of everything… and now lots of Wesnothians are finding their way here. :slight_smile:

Well the banner on Wesnoth website surely helps a lot. If you come here it is probably because you love BfW, and so are willing to try a game from the same authors. And, going a bit off-topic, I want to say that I equally enjoyed both games, even if they are completely different.

Just to have finally admitted it… I don’t really like Wesnoth… But I LOVE Frogatto :smiley:

u joo? :smiley:

I’ve gone through many phases of playing Wesnoth a lot for a while, with long periods of not playing it in between. It’s a good game, but not for everyone. Now I package it for Mac, but don’t really play it.

I found it through Wikipedia actually. I was browsing their list of open source games to see if there was a decent freedomware platformer. I’ve played SuperTux and Secret Maryo Chronicles, and they aren’t that good really. SuperTux is too simplistic, easy, and short. Maryo feels like it’s incomplete: there’s many levels but you have to select them from an alphabetically sorted list. They don’t have a built in progression, and because of this there’s no tension between levels. You can start anywhere you want with no consequences. It feels like you’re playing the game in debug mode.

Frogatto is a lot better than them in my opinion. It looks and feels like it could have been a commercially produced game back in the early 90s, and introduces play mechanics that put it beyond a mere Super Mario Bros. clone.

[quote=“DuringComoreas, post:49, topic:30”]I found it through Wikipedia actually. I was browsing their list of open source games to see if there was a decent freedomware platformer. I’ve played SuperTux and Secret Maryo Chronicles, and they aren’t that good really. SuperTux is too simplistic, easy, and short. Maryo feels like it’s incomplete: there’s many levels but you have to select them from an alphabetically sorted list. They don’t have a built in progression, and because of this there’s no tension between levels. You can start anywhere you want with no consequences. It feels like you’re playing the game in debug mode.

Frogatto is a lot better than them in my opinion. It looks and feels like it could have been a commercially produced game back in the early 90s, and introduces play mechanics that put it beyond a mere Super Mario Bros. clone.[/quote]

I really appreciate these compliments, because this sort of reaction is exactly what we were hoping for.

Rant:
Especially on the complaints against SuperTux and SMC; their developers should be ashamed of themselves. Not for having written an okay platformer engine; that’s a legitimate accomplishment. Their ‘sin’ lies in pretending that what they’ve created is a real game - and further, there’s shame on the linux community for promoting this dog shit like it’s a gourmet meal. They’re inferior clones of mario. There’s no point to their existence, because playing the real thing is actually challenging, fun, and complete - and they offer no other differentiation.

I really get pissed at how the linux community doesn’t hide the shit tech demos in the ghetto they belong in, because promoting them as though they’re best-in-category games makes people think that all linux games are crap, and that the entire linux gaming scene is a fucking joke. They need to start being jerks, and start going out of their way to make lazy dilettante game-developer wannabes feel ashamed for pretending their weekend hacks are real games. Because people out in the real world can tell the difference, and the developers who have the discretion and taste to develop excellent titles that rival commercial work might get the impression that the linux community just doesn’t give a shit about good games. I certainly have.

If the linux community wants to have excellent, linux-original games, they need to develop some discretion and taste. Don’t promote stuff that doesn’t deserve it.

Thanks. Your rant sounds like literature, but it’s so true. :wink:

By the way: advertisement on BfW-Homepage. Yeah, I know you’ve heard that story before. :stuck_out_tongue:

I actually did not come from the wesoth forums. I’ve actually only played wesoth once and this was actually quite some time ago. At the time I was not too impressed with wesoth but I was also playing a lot of fire emblem at the time so I may have harshly compared the two in my mind. I’m sure its quality is much improved since then.

I found Frogatto the day it showed up for download on my nokia n900 (maemo).

I had been working on my own platforming engine at the time so I checked out the frogatto source to see what I could learn from it. Once I discovered just how nice and flexible an engine it has, I decided to ditch my own engine for my current project and try to built it within the frogatto engine.

I still have not played frogato very seriously. I just kind of cheat my way through (warp to random levels, spawn a bunch of max heart powerups when I’m doing poorly)

Read about it in the Wesnoth Forum, too.

I was looking up how SNES developers handled graphics and if anything like a shader was used and stumbled on the site somehow. The artwork instantly caught my eye, curiosity kicked in, and I explored the website. After watching a youtube video of the game i’m almost shocked at the excellent quality of a game that’s free on PC and cheap on the iphone.

I found out about Frogatto thanks to IndieGames.com, as they recently did a “Top Freeware Platformers of 2010” feature. Though I do feel that it deserved a spot much higher than #8. x3 This game is by far my favorite from the list they concocted.

;D Well, gee I’m touched. Compliments like this really make my day.

Frogatto is really a must for all classic gamers!
The Mario’s Style (SNES/DS Style so the “Original Style”) is perfect!
Playing Frogatto i feel the Original platforms gameplay … that i only feel in Arcade/Bar when i was young! sigh! … especially when i face with Bosses (of end level).
Frogatto is better then some commercial “$$” projects but is free and open (and on Mobile 1$ for this game is fantastic).
So … please Frogatto, tells to your creators to continue the development! The classic gaming will never die!! :slight_smile:
Thanks!!

Don’t remember where i got a link to this site from. I was looking for open source games and somehow ended up here though when i went over the game lists again Frogatto wasn’t on the lists. :stuck_out_tongue:
Truly amazing!

I found out about Frogatto from the banner on Wesnoth website - it is very hard to miss.

[quote=“nasty, post:57, topic:30”]So … please Frogatto, tells to your creators to continue the development! The classic gaming will never die!! :slight_smile:
Thanks!![/quote]

Haha FIGHT THE MAN

hahahaha

Oh it won’t die. Not if we have anything to do with it. :slight_smile: