Translations

Hello would be possible that the game was translated into several languages including Spanish?

Thanks!

There’s some stuff to discuss, to see how the translations should be done, but yes, it’s very doable.

(No, I’m not going to translate Frogatto into Spanish)

Thanks

I would be more than happy to translate it into spanish.

As for me I’d love to translate it into French

I’d gladly like to translate it into German, because I am German ^^

Hey that would be GREAT!!! ;D

Yeah, that’s just how they roll in Germany. :smiley:

I would like to make the translation for Portuguese (Brazil). I just need to figure out how. Someone knows?

I’ll gladly contribute a Dutch translation. :slight_smile:

Thanks for offering to translate, guys! We’ll let you know when it’s possible to translate.

I’ll wait until the game have support to other languages, then. Please let us know when it’s possible to translate the game.

At job, the easiest way we found to add support to many languages in a game is to simply provide an spreadsheet (ex. an Excel document) with every text ID and its value divided by 2 columns. You can also add a third column to tell which exact situation is at that text for in the game…

It’s faster than having to manage a whole DB only for that, and you cand send to any kind of user anytime… And of course, it’s a more understable thing than a simple .txt file… (you’ll need to export it later as a custom xml, or whatever you use, of course…)

I hope that will help you… Oh, btw, I’d be glad to translate to spanish & catalan , too… :smiley:

Since the same applies to me, I’d like to support you. :smiley:
Is anyone actually implementing this yet? If not I could carefully try to do so?

I believe it’s already mostly implemented, but we’re focusing on releasing 1.0.2 (haven’t submitted to Apple for the iPhone yet). Once that’s over we’ll get to it, I think.

Translation support made it into SVN today. For those who want to get a head-start: there’s a translation template on Transifex.net (check out the frogatto.pot source file).

The catalogs are gettext style .po files, so you can use tools like Poedit or any text editor to add translations.

Ok, I’m a bit tired today; I’ll have a look tomorrow.

[quote=“pH5, post:16, topic:65”]Translation support made it into SVN today. For those who want to get a head-start: there’s a translation template on Transifex.net (check out the frogatto.pot source file).

The catalogs are gettext style .po files, so you can use tools like Poedit or any text editor to add translations.[/quote]

Hi!

There are a few problem with translation :slight_smile:

I’ve downloaded SVN-version, and created po/ru.po, added ru language into Makefile:

LINGUAS=de ru

and built SVN version and translated one string:

“Frogatto’s home” => “??? ???”

#: data/level/frogatto-grotto-frogattos-room.cfg:9
msgid "Frogatto's Room"
msgstr "??? ?????????"

my .po-file has these headers:

"Project-Id-Version: 0.1\n"
"Report-Msgid-Bugs-To: \n"
"POT-Creation-Date: 2010-09-23 19:46+0200\n"
"PO-Revision-Date: 2010-09-23 19:46+0200\n"
"Last-Translator: Dmitry E. Oboukhov <unera@debian.org>"
"Language: russian\n"
"MIME-Version: 1.0\n"
"Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8\n"
"Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit\n

Then I tried to start the game and receive the result:

I start frogatto in locale:

$ locale
LANG=ru_RU.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE="ru_RU.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="ru_RU.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="ru_RU.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="ru_RU.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="ru_RU.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="ru_RU.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="ru_RU.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="ru_RU.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="ru_RU.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="ru_RU.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="ru_RU.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="ru_RU.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=

Second: I think that You can seek available langlist by Makefile, for example:

LINGUAS =       $(shell for lang in po/*.po; do basename $$lang .po; done)

pH5 told me, the .po should be ISO-8859-1 encoded…

Well, the other problem is we have no Russian characters in our fonts… They’re all hand-made by Jetrel and neo, so they only had English originally. pH5 added the characters needed for German, but Russian would be a lot harder.