Translations

8859 doesn’t contain charachter set for all europan languages, so even european langs can’t be used

frogatto uses two fonts DejaVuSans.ttf and FreeMono.ttf

both of them contain russian symbols:

See images/gui/, there are the bitmap fonts used in the game. Maybe teaching the game utf-8 or something would be a nice task for someone like me, I’ll try it tomorrow.

It’s a pity

[quote=“unera, post:24, topic:65”][quote author=Joo link=topic=45.msg531#msg531 date=1285610967]
See images/gui/, there are the bitmap fonts used in the game. [/quote]

It’s a pity[/quote]
It’s room for improvement ;D

The devs seem quite open for patches so let’s get it done.

We want bitmap fonts mostly for aesthetic reasons. That is, we want the font to look hand-pixelled, and aside from bitmap concerns, we want a font with a custom shape. That last bit would be possible with just a custom TTF, but I know nothing about how to design those, or what software to do it with.

If anyone wants to start work on a cyrillic bitmap font, please do. We’re hoping to make bitmap fonts for several of the world’s simpler phonetic alphabets. I’m … concerned about the prospect of the chinese/kanji character set down the road, but that’s a bridge we’ll cross when we get to it. It might be feasible to auto-generate most of the characters from an existing free TTF, and then touch them up. I’d also be open to commissioning some guy to pixel such a character set, and then re-releasing it under a public domain and/or free license, over at OpenGameArt. That’s a bit off topic, though.

In the meantime, pixelling cyrillic characters for our current font is very do-able.

Another point against TTF, is that our TTF rendering library (SDL_TTF) doesn’t work on iPhone. This is fine now because the editor also doesn’t work on the iPhone, and that’s the only place the TTF fonts are used, but if they were in the main game, we’d have to figure a way around that.

I think Wesnoth got around it somehow though, so maybe we could too…

I have cyrillic characters for label_font.png and UTF-8 support working, so if somebody would like to paint cyrillic characters for the font in dialog.png, we’d be set.

I have cyrillic characters for label_font.png and UTF-8 support working, so if somebody would like to paint cyrillic characters for the font in dialog.png, we’d be set.[/quote]
It would be excellent

[quote=“unera, post:29, topic:65”][quote author=pH5 link=topic=45.msg545#msg545 date=1285689080]

I have cyrillic characters for label_font.png and UTF-8 support working, so if somebody would like to paint cyrillic characters for the font in dialog.png, we’d be set.
[/quote]
It would be excellent[/quote]

I downloaded last SVN version with ru.po:
russian letters in menu look well
but in dialogs I see spaces instead russian text :frowning:

[quote=“unera, post:30, topic:65”]I downloaded last SVN version with ru.po:
russian letters in menu look well
but in dialogs I see spaces instead russian text :([/quote]
I have added cyrillic letters to images/gui/label_font.png, so the menu can display russian text.
The big font in images/gui/dialog.png, which is used in the dialogs during gameplay is still missing them…

“The big font in images/gui/dialog.png, which is used in the dialogs during gameplay is still missing them…”

Also, I would prefer that this font get moved to a new image. That is - an image which contains nothing but that font.

Just for reference, done in r3600.

If the language template can be uploaded to the server again I can work on Turkish translation I guess it’s removed from server, I did translations before for programs and games so anyone who likes Frogatto and Friends and would like to help the translation let me know and thanks in advance :slight_smile:

P.S for the main screen on new game and load if you look up screen view stucks on that view maybe a bug? I’ll check for others on the way

There you go, use this (just right-click and save)
http://www.frogatto.com/viewvc.cgi/frogatto/trunk/po/tr.po?view=co

It’s not a bug, it’s the engine being smart and not moving the camera since the level doesn’t go any further in any of the four directions.
Thanks for being on the lookout, though, and happy translating! :smiley:

Cheers! ;D

When Chinese translators do translations for games using bitmap fonts, we generally do not utilize the full character set. And considering the simple dialogues in Frogatto, not many different characters will be used in the translation, so I may be able to generate a bitmap for only the characters needed. I haven’t done that before but it’s worth a try.

EDIT: fixed a typo.