Sound Design - CHECKLIST

As I go back and play frogatto, I am realizing there are a number of sound tasks that need to be completed. Tbh a lot of things about the soundtrack bug me atm.

1. My main priority is working on eq for the sound design so that the tracks are less jarring in the higher registers and feature more warmth in the low-mid eq ranges. This is my first and foremost concern!

2. The music definitely should quiet down when frogatto converses with another minor character or in a shop area. Or when the game is paused… or when you go to the status screen. :confused: It’d be a nice touch to add these effects to give the sound design a bit more polish.

3. The volume of the music between Milgram’s entrance and timely exit should quickly fade to 0 … and be accompanied by a WA WA WA WAAAAAA… sound effect in between. It’d be gold! And then fade back in from 0 to regular volume level.

4. Sound effects for jumping block man. I was thinking a war cry would be funny. But I think there needs to be a slightly more comedic approach to enemy noises… so I’ll keep pondering and brainstorming. (Please mention requests for sfx in this threadhttp://www.frogatto.com/forum/index.php?topic=117.0.

5. Also, I feel a random (but rather urgent) need to use wilhelm sfx scream at some point in the game… maybe we can implement it when frogatto falls off a huge cliff?

Let me know if any of these accomodations are silly :slight_smile:

That last bit reminds me of the part in Torin’s Passage where he falls out of a pipe. The scream starts out high, and then gets lower as time progresses.
Torin: "AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhh breathe
Aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh breathe
Ahhhhh gasp ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Boogle! Save us!"
Thud Clang

So funny. :slight_smile:

lol. that does sound like comedic gold. I need to give that a look!

There’s another scream besides the Wilhelm scream:

The “howie scream”:

Regarding these, they’re technically a copyright infringement, but we can probably fly under the radar as long as we keep it really, really rare.

Best to play it safe I s’pose.

Getting my new computer in the next few days. Updates will be comin’ soon

YES

Hope you don’t get too much preware on it. Looking forward to the new material. [suspicious] :smiley: [/suspicious]

Being that he’s buying an iMac, that’ll be precisely -zero- crapware coming with it. Apple doesn’t do that shit - mostly because they have healthy margins on their products and aren’t desperate to earn a few dollars more on top of razor-thin commodity margins by doing some bundling deal.

A mac? You didn’t say. 8)

First piece with new computer. I am already hearing the difference. It’s nice not having to compete with latency. :slight_smile:

http://soundcloud.com/ryanreilly/suitcase-piano-jazz-1

Since I haven’t done any music composition on the computer … what does this mean? I’m familiar with the term latency, but only in other contexts.

Lag. I had a metric shitton of latency on my old machine. What this meant, simply, is that what I ended up recording would always sound significantly different than what I would be hearing in the production phase before mastering. The recording would be hindered b.c it wouldn’t be following/reproducing the bit-depth cycle accurately when bouncing midi to audio and then to disc. Within that, the quality of the sound was adversely affected. Sound lag is complete garblage. Having a faster more powerful computer has allowed for me to eliminate such hurdles.

Version 2 of the suitcase jazz piece.

http://soundcloud.com/ryanreilly/suitcasey

I am updating my sample templates as we speak. Sound effects work and (possibly) boss battle coming in the next week.

[quote=“RyanReilly, post:15, topic:210”]Version 2 of the suitcase jazz piece.

http://soundcloud.com/ryanreilly/suitcasey

I am updating my sample templates as we speak. Sound effects work and (possibly) boss battle coming in the next week.[/quote]

Is this piece intended for frogatto, or is it just putting the new rig through the paces?

The piece may be used for frogatto if a place can be found. :slight_smile:

Foliage Rustling. For when frogatto is walking through bushes or grass

FoliageRustle1.mp3 (28.8 KB)

FoliageRustle2.mp3 (29.6 KB)

I was a tad worried before I opened these, because it’s so easy to have the right sound, and have it be too long or whatnot.

But nope, you’ve nailed this. They’re perfect. ;D

I’m talking to Dave right now to see if we can figure out the code-side of this; we don’t quite yet have the ability to tell what kind of tile frogatto is standing on, which of course will be necessary. Should be really trivial to do this, once we’ve got that.

Good. mwahaha good good. I am not sure about the code-logic either but I know these types of sounds are necessary to create more dynamic organic environments so I’ll be trying to think along those lines. Let me know how you guys are going to implement the logic

[quote=“Jetrel, post:19, topic:210”]I was a tad worried before I opened these, because it’s so easy to have the right sound, and have it be too long or whatnot.

But nope, you’ve nailed this. They’re perfect. ;D

I’m talking to Dave right now to see if we can figure out the code-side of this; we don’t quite yet have the ability to tell what kind of tile frogatto is standing on, which of course will be necessary. Should be really trivial to do this, once we’ve got that.[/quote]