Sound Design - CHECKLIST

We need a new function that can ask the game what kind of tiles are at a given spot. The code once we have that, would go something like:

WHEN: frogatto is on frame one, or frame 4 of his walk/run animations: IF: There are grass tiles immediately under frogatto, then play the grass sound ELSE: play the generic footfall sound (which sounds a tad like sand or gravel).

Adding new kinds of ground then would just be a matter of making another line for each.

And yes, I’ve been hoping to have footfall sounds for quite some time now - not only is this a useful resource for frogatto, but also for weregild and any number of other games. Footfalls are so subtle, but they’re just so damn powerful for giving an environment ambiance. I’d really like to expand frogatto’s tactile sounds (walking, shuffling, scraping, bumping, etc), so that creatures all make noise as they move around, and you can use more than just your eyes to know what’s going on around you.

I’ve been keeping the footfall ambience in mind of late. :wink: Need to just start putting in the time to cranking them out… knowing how to integrate the design will help me fine tune the future samples. I just don’t get how the code will trigger the sound effect so that it doesn’t machine-gun-effect when frogatto runs through multiple tiles possibly leading to possible sfx triggers handled by the code. That’s going to be where the logic might need to be looked at. I have no idea what to do!

[quote=“Jetrel, post:21, topic:210”]We need a new function that can ask the game what kind of tiles are at a given spot. The code once we have that, would go something like:

WHEN: frogatto is on frame one, or frame 4 of his walk/run animations: IF: There are grass tiles immediately under frogatto, then play the grass sound ELSE: play the generic footfall sound (which sounds a tad like sand or gravel).

Adding new kinds of ground then would just be a matter of making another line for each.

And yes, I’ve been hoping to have footfall sounds for quite some time now - not only is this a useful resource for frogatto, but also for weregild and any number of other games. Footfalls are so subtle, but they’re just so damn powerful for giving an environment ambiance. I’d really like to expand frogatto’s tactile sounds (walking, shuffling, scraping, bumping, etc), so that creatures all make noise as they move around, and you can use more than just your eyes to know what’s going on around you.[/quote]

Right - the trick is, stepping on tiles doesn’t trigger it. It triggers at specific times in the walk animation - actually on the exact frames that his feet touch the ground on. So we ought to be good in that regard.

AWESOME. You the man!

http://soundcloud.com/frogatto/hmmmm

just trying to get my synths to sound okay. : )

Success! :smiley:

Final version, promise!

Successer!

(As a side note, all the music currently in Frogatto can be found here: https://github.com/frogatto/frogatto/tree/master/music )

Idea: Berd (the blue bird guy you talk to now and then) is becoming a big enough character, with enough screen time, that he could stand to have his own theme. Just a small thing, like the elder has.

Berd will never be a combatant, but he’s gonna be a pretty faithful companion for frogatto on his trip, and he’s getting a substantial amount of dialog in the forest update.

[quote=“Jetrel, post:29, topic:210”]Idea: Berd (the blue bird guy you talk to now and then) is becoming a big enough character, with enough screen time, that he could stand to have his own theme. Just a small thing, like the elder has.

Berd will never be a combatant, but he’s gonna be a pretty faithful companion for frogatto on his trip, and he’s getting a substantial amount of dialog in the forest update.[/quote]

Do you think it will work musically? Will it fit the character I mean>

[quote=“RyanReilly, post:30, topic:210”][quote author=Jetrel link=topic=276.msg2030#msg2030 date=1329830201]
Idea: Berd (the blue bird guy you talk to now and then) is becoming a big enough character, with enough screen time, that he could stand to have his own theme. Just a small thing, like the elder has.

Berd will never be a combatant, but he’s gonna be a pretty faithful companion for frogatto on his trip, and he’s getting a substantial amount of dialog in the forest update.
[/quote]

Do you think it will work musically? Will it fit the character I mean>[/quote]

HAhahah, ooops. Misunderstanding here. I was proposing a new piece (short, 20-50sec) for berd, if you’re up for making one. He’s more important than the elder (a lot more screen time), but doesn’t have his own theme.

I wasn’t proposing “hmm” for that - it sounds more like a level theme, and I think it’d fit pretty well in the new forest.

thanks for clarifying. THis is tttly a level theme. On the subject of The bird theme lol . I could have fun with that. However I think I should focus more on giving his wings a sound effect for when he flies away. That will give his personal role a much more solid backing to enter into the experience than a character theme, imo. Still if I come up with anything on the musical end I’ll let you guys know.

Bird theme? http://soundcloud.com/frogatto/chipperuni

Officially added. 8)

:smiley: Pretty much everything I’d been hoping for. Gives the character a few nuances I hadn’t expected but which are a pleasant surprise, and will fit in nicely with where I want to take things.

Hey great to hear! :slight_smile:

2 things:
1] Dave wrote tile-detection code, so now walking sounds can correspond to what kind of tile you’re walking on. We have, atm, foliage and dirt/generic sfx.
2] I made a good set of “wood floor” sfx, which we’re using for interiors, and for bridges. I want to cook up something for hard stone, to be used for the basements and the dungeons. Also maybe sand.

[quote=“Jetrel, post:37, topic:210”]2 things:
1] Dave wrote tile-detection code, so now walking sounds can correspond to what kind of tile you’re walking on. We have, atm, foliage and dirt/generic sfx.
2] I made a good set of “wood floor” sfx, which we’re using for interiors, and for bridges. I want to cook up something for hard stone, to be used for the basements and the dungeons. Also maybe sand.[/quote]

1. <3

2. Good to hear. Sand would be a fun challenge. Hard stone. I’ll tool around with these today.

Hard stone should maybe be a little slappy, what with frogatto’s bare feet. I have a pair of decent “hard-soled” concrete step sounds, but when I tried them, they didn’t feel right. It should maybe be more like the sound of soft-soled shoes, or sandals.

If you can find a way to send me what you’ve got I may be able to modify them a bit to get what we want.