RPG Project

A little something I’ve been working on for the past several weeks; a top-down (e.g. zelda, secret of mana, chrono trigger) style prototype in frogatto’s engine. This does not have any real gameplay, yet, there’s no fighting, no interaction, nothing but just walking around. The plan is eventually to have a highly tactical combat system somewhere between FFTactics and Chrono trigger; still a party-based rpg, but with a decent amount of strategy to it. However, this is very much a back-burner “experiment” of mine, and I’m still going to spend the majority of my time on frogatto - progress on this will be quite slow.

Note also: There are significant “things left unfinished” in this - you’ll see some obvious bugs, and the main character is a decently-animated, but faceless blue fellow. I’m not going to commit to rendering his appearance until I have his animations smoothly blocked out. Please don’t complain about what’s not done/broken. Tip of the hat to RyanReilly for my borrowing his MysticForest song.

I have only the mac build at the moment, since I can’t build for windows.
http://wesnoth.org/jetrel/Binaries/RPG_project.zip

For those compiling from trunk, you can run the game with the following options:
–level-path=“data/level/rpg” --level rpg-trail2.cfg

Enjoy.

ummm… YES PLEASE?

whistles

Nice! Will there be pixel graphics for this project as well, then?

[quote=“Zerovirus, post:3, topic:168”]whistles

Nice! Will there be pixel graphics for this project as well, then?[/quote]

Apparently you can’t run that demo. :frowning: I am sorry (honest!), but windows is seriously going to be a second-class citizen here, since I can’t personally do the builds. Also because I’m doing some quick-and-dirty customization to remove a lot of the frogatto data from these - I swap the titlescreen with the level you’re supposed to start on for the rpg, so that no traces of frogatto are seen by the user in normal (non-editor) operation.

As an unabashed mac fanboy, I’ll take this moment to point out that if you buy a mac as your next computer, you won’t miss out on anything, since they can run MacOS, Windows, and Linux, all at full speed, these days. There’s a growing amount of mac-only software, because Apple’s increasingly offering some wicked APIs (like core audio, core video, and such) that have no counterparts on any other OS. The only valid reasons not to buy a mac these days are 1] price, and 2] needing some really unusual hardware (such as a rubberized, waterproof machine, or a blade/rackmount server) that apple doesn’t offer. Everything else is neutralized by having windows (and linux) as a “first-class-citizen” option.

Here are some screenshots, at least. Note that this exterior environment is all I have done.

Roadmap towards the next release:
Over the next few months, I’m going to practice monster designs, which isn’t one of my strong suits. I’ll probably make a bunch of stuff that’s unrelated to this project at all, just for practice’s sake (also to plump up my anemic pixel-art galleries), and then once I’ve got a few dozen of those done, and have gotten the wheels turning upstairs, I’ll start work on a bestiary for this game. Because I’m uncertain of my skills there, I’m going to leave them entirely unanimated for a while, in case I want to revise their appearance.

The other big task for the next release will be getting combat working. We can probably do this without(!) implementing any rpgisms, like stats and such, at first; just have characters respond to hard-coded “attack” values, and use the most dead-simple backend of stats possible. The core thing, instead, will be getting the actual UI and actions of combat working, so we can at least play through a fight. This is really the biggest “business logic” hurdle remaining.

One big catch-all will be working on lots of little bug-fixes and feature enhancements to the editor and the game to pave the way for this.

We should put heavy work into planning what the stats will actually be, on the side, whilst doing this milestone.

Next Milestone after that:
Loosely will be implementing all of our rpg stats (items, levelling, etc) and making combat interesting. For this sake, I’d probably like to implement a “skirmish mode”, not just to make testing easy, but also intended to be shipped with the game, where you can play one-off “canned” fights just like we have in wesnoth. This will be a simple litmus test of whether the game is fun or not, which we’re forced to pass.

It also gives us a “complete, enjoyable, demonstrable product” that we can show off, well before the hell-march that is:

Next Milestone after that:
The long content push to get the whole storyline in. When we get this done, the whole game is done.

Just thought I’d post some of the tracks we’re planning on implementing for the RPG. Sorry if this isn’t the right section for doing this but I didn’t want to create a bunch of threads and risk getting super convoluted

http://soundcloud.com/ryanreilly/sets/rpg-music/

Comments and feedback are welcome, thanks

R

Having these all together in one list, especially when they’re all the latest versions, is sooo much easier to keep track of.

Soundcloud <3. What can I say? I LOVE IT.

I think it’s going to make things a bit easier for us. :smiley:

Did enjoy the scenery - and the music. :wink:

Just wanted to point out I’m really glad about this project and that what you’ve done so far looks lovely & promising.

[quote=“EELuminatus, post:9, topic:168”]Did enjoy the scenery - and the music. :wink:

Just wanted to point out I’m really glad about this project and that what you’ve done so far looks lovely & promising.[/quote]

Thanks. Your support means a lot for my motivation.

[quote=“EELuminatus, post:9, topic:168”]Did enjoy the scenery - and the music. :wink:

Just wanted to point out I’m really glad about this project and that what you’ve done so far looks lovely & promising.[/quote]

Thanks for your kind words!

I wish I had a mac. By the way. Look like a Dark Knight on those snapshots.

You can actually just take the latest release (or Frogatto) and start it with –level rpg-trail2.cfg to run the rpg. You can also press ctrl+e in the game to get into the editor, press o to open, and open one of those levels, then press esc to play it.

[quote=“crimson_penguin, post:13, topic:168”][quote author=KingHanco link=topic=218.msg1253#msg1253 date=1305207322]
I wish I had a mac. By the way. Look like a Dark Knight on those snapshots.
[/quote]

You can actually just take the latest release (or Frogatto) and start it with –level rpg-trail2.cfg to run the rpg. You can also press ctrl+e in the game to get into the editor, press o to open, and open one of those levels, then press esc to play it.[/quote]

I’ll probably bother with windows releases once I have actual gameplay working. E.g. once you can actually fight and die - i.e. actually have fun “playing” the game. Until then I’m best not wasting my time on “meta-work” like that.

When that comes, and I imagine it’ll be maybe a month? Then I owe it to you guys. :slight_smile:

Is there anyway to make this full screen? Would love to see the intricacy of those pixels a bit more indepthly.

You can run the game with the command line option –fullscreen. :slight_smile:

Try pressing “command-F”, and see if it works.

Control F… Works like a charm. Thanks

Oh btw… is there a way to customize levels for the rpg like in frogatto??? moving objects around and what not… i’d really like to try my hand at design one of these days. :slight_smile:

Works the same way. control-e opens up the editor. It’s going to be much messier and hackier than frogatto, because I’m personally able to understand a lot of stuff I set up, but which would take a long time to explain to other people.