Achievement Testing

What I have done:
There are some very long achievements which I have added to SVN today, but not had the day or two I need to go out and test them. The first achievement, to get and hold all the coins in the game, is now set at 750 coins. We know there are exactly 1556 coins placed in our levels, but we don’t use all levels - and there may be stray coins, and we want perhaps a small margin of error. The second achievement is to speedrun the game. The code is mostly untested, and is currently set to under two hours.

What you can do:

1. Go through the levels, explore every nook and cranny, and collect all the coins. Then, post your tally here. Don’t spend any money at the shop!
  2. Finish the game as fast as you possibly can. Please post your result here, as we currently have no clue how fast the game can be completed. (The game currently won’t tell you your time. Use a watch.)
    Watch this space. There may be more testing tasks as time passes, and bug fixes may be announced.

Thanks. :slight_smile:

[size=8pt]Ahh, another problem with being an indie developer: no testing department.[/size]

Stats:

As found in max coins thread:

[table][tr][td][b]Person[/td][td]Coins / Hearts[/td][td]Runtime[/td][td]Date[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]C. Bob[/td][td]963 / -[/td][td]-[/td][td]Aug. 27, 2010[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]marcavis[/td][td]889 / -[/td][td]-[/td][td]Sept. 19, 2010[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][/td][td][/td][td][/td][td][/td][/tr][/table]

From this thread:

[table][tr][td][b]Person[/td][td]Coins / Hearts[/td][td]Runtime[/td][td]Date[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]tartaros[/td][td]994 / 7[/td][td]-[/td][td]Dec. 8, 2010[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][/td][td][/td][td][/td][td][/td][/tr][/table]

Just completed a runthrough on r3772 with coin/heart objectivity in mind. I’m at the entrance to fighting Milgram (i.e. have done everything BUT fight him), so I can still go back and check any level.

I have 974 coins and 7 whole hearts, no extra pieces. I also wrote it down as I played, so I have a level by level break-down of coins and hearts (including partial), if you guys want.

Since I had a ton of money, I did go to the store and finally figured out that you never can fully upgrade your tongue extender because the stupid thing just keeps regenerating. 70 coins, then 140, then 210, then 280, then 350…even if you only buy tongue extenders, you run out of money pretty quickly. Is there even a difference past a certain level, I mean, does the tongue keep growing?

And out of curiosity, why is the tongue extender the only store item the regenerates? Why not the spit extender (or whatever it’s called) or the extra heart? Or even the powerups? Have them be longer lasting or happen more frequently or something? Or be able to store them and trigger them? Why just that ridiculously long tongue? Is this a frog thing?

Found a little hidden thing a hadn’t before, so my new total is:

984 994 1007 1008 coins, 7 whole hearts, no partial pieces, no purchases at the shop

Thanks for going through and getting the coins, tartaros! I’ve set the coin achievement to 990+ coins.

As to the store, I suspect that this is what happened: Someone decided to put in some ‘flex’ to the thing, and, thus, one thing that respawns. I expect it works the more you buy. We didn’t really have a meeting where we decided to set the prices at x, so it’s rather arbitrary. :wink:

[quote=“DDR, post:5, topic:142”]Thanks for going through and getting the coins, tartaros! I’ve set the coin achievement to 990+ coins.

As to the store, I suspect that this is what happened: Someone decided to put in some ‘flex’ to the thing, and, thus, one thing that respawns. I expect it works the more you buy. We didn’t really have a meeting where we decided to set the prices at x, so it’s rather arbitrary. ;)[/quote]

Do you have any idea how close I am to the total that actually exists in the game? I’ve kept updating my level by level thing as I go along, and I still keep finding things that I missed or had no idea existed. I also keep finding odd little hidden things that don’t have anything in them that I don’t remember finding before (and therefore having collected whatever was there) but they are empty. Are there hidden passageways that are empty just for kicks, you know, to annoy people? Or am I getting gaming amnesia?

In re the tongue, I’m not sure if this is an error, but the I’ve tested buying four upgrades to the tongue (all I can at the moment). Oddly the difference between the 2nd upgrade and 3rd is smaller then between any other upgrade (0 and 1, 1 and 2, 3 and 4). I won’t be able to test 5 unless I’ve missed 43 coins…making it 70 coins more expensive each time is rather prohibitive.

Started at the beginning to see if I missed anything and am up to 1008. But the weird part is [spoilers]that even though I’ve never fought Milgram, Crevice Village’s houses have transformed as though I have, so if I missed anything in them, I can’t get it anymore. I thought this was only supposed to happen after you fight and win, and I’ve never even fought.[/spoilers] Anyway, will continue through the game to see what else I missed.

I should probably adjust the prices upwards for some stuff. :wink: No clue what’s going on with the tongue, though.
I reiterate: I don’t think anyone really planned this one. tartaros, you are currently the Expert with regards to how many coins we have. What we do, analysis-wise, is a script which tells us how many coins are in the folder where all the levels are, but it isn’t good enough to tell us which levels the coins are in. We also have a script which returns a graph of all the levels in the game, and how they connect, but I don’t know enough perl to mix the two. :frowning:

Someone should really do some work with regards to that.

Oh, and coin achievement upped to 1008 coins. :slight_smile:

Well, my script does say where the coins are, and you actually give it a list of level files as arguments; the problem is there’s no easy way to see only mainline levels, and it’s easiest to just say level/*. Anyway, what should be fixed is organization of the level folder. In regards to the town, that changes when you beat the boss in the town, not any later than that.

Really? I was quite sure that I’d beaten the town boss and then still gone back to try for something I kept missing in the Central House. I’m sure of it in fact…there was a jump a kept missing and I got very annoyed trying it over and over, so anytime I was at a transport point in the game, I’d go back and try until I just couldn’t stand it anymore. I meant to go back after finishing the game, but to my shock, it was gone, which is why I made sure not to finish in my gold counter game. In fact, doesn’t Frogatto even say something in the nameless level before Milgram like “well this is it, I guess if there’s anything left I want to go back and do I should do it now”? Oh! Could having entered the boss level have triggered the change? Because I did enter to make sure that I had done anything, but, no, I quit to the title screen because I’d just saved on the previous level.

[Edit] I went back and looked at my old games and in one of my unfinished games, when I beat the boss in the Elder house, things didn’t transform right away, but I did fight him again…I’d finished most of the game (hadn’t fought Milgram) and was going back looking for things and he was still there…I didn’t need to beat him to walk through the level, but when I went into the Elder’s house, FIGHT! I’m guessing it was a bug of some sort. Haven’t been able to replicate it. Might have occurred because the saved file was started in one game version and finished in another? I don’t know, I don’t see any code anomalies, but then again, I’ve got the saved version where I’ve beat him twice, I don’t have a copy where I’ve passed the level but he still needs to be fought and Crevice village is intact. [/ Edit]

Hmmmm…

I do have my own personal listing of coins and heart capsules per level (even what house’s, etc, they can be found in, but I’m still finding secret things so go figure). And that last coin I found was because I’d somehow missed Pato’s room…which is really, really pathetic.

At the moment, can only read the scripts in text edit which is not very helpful…I can really only get a vague organizational feel of what is calling what file wise.

up to 1011 1031 coins

[quote=“DDR, post:1, topic:142”]What I have done:
There are some very long achievements which I have added to SVN today, but not had the day or two I need to go out and test them. The first achievement, to get and hold all the coins in the game, is now set at 750 coins. We know there are exactly 1556 coins placed in our levels, but we don’t use all levels - and there may be stray coins, and we want perhaps a small margin of error. The second achievement is to speedrun the game. The code is mostly untested, and is currently set to under two hours.

What you can do:

1. Go through the levels, explore every nook and cranny, and collect all the coins. Then, post your tally here. Don’t spend any money at the shop!
  2. Finish the game as fast as you possibly can. Please post your result here, as we currently have no clue how fast the game can be completed. (The game currently won’t tell you your time. Use a watch.)
    Watch this space. There may be more testing tasks as time passes, and bug fixes may be announced.

Thanks. :slight_smile:

[size=8pt]Ahh, another problem with being an indie developer: no testing department.[/size][/quote]

You said you know 1556, including levels not in use not counting stray coins that may exist. Do the levels not in use include non-functioning ones? I have an idea I want to test but it would be really helpful if someone could post all levels that are counted as “not in use”.

Here is a grand map of the levels, edited for clarity. To be ‘in use’, the level must have a way of getting to it. There are a few broken levels which I don’t think are included, but, tbh, I expect there are some broken ones that are too.
Tartaros: Could you post your save.cfg file, by any chance? I might be able to get a list of the levels you have visited from it. :slight_smile: I think it would be useful to have a text list of used levels

[quote=“DDR, post:13, topic:142”]Here is a grand map of the levels, edited for clarity. To be ‘in use’, the level must have a way of getting to it. There are a few broken levels which I don’t think are included, but, tbh, I expect there are some broken ones that are too.
Tartaros: Could you post your save.cfg file, by any chance? I might be able to get a list of the levels you have visited from it. :slight_smile: I think it would be useful to have a text list of used levels[/quote]

Yeah, give me a little time to find someplace to put the files. But my save.cfg file (for the coins) only shows in game levels I’ve been to. I also have been testing workable non-in game levels and keeping track of the number of coins per level, so I also have records for Conveyance, Wobbly Wonders, The Lower Landing, Lower Ascent, Upper Ascent, The Company Town, That Rising Water Level, Seashore Tidal Passage, etc…

Which is where I hoped your map would help me, but it seems to only have Collect-Mp and Wither Wind on it. And Collect-Mp was one I’d been leaving toward the end because well, it’s broken, or I thought it was. On any version I attempt to play it, I either get booted back to the title screen or the game force quits, so I assumed it was counted as a non-functioning level.

You should be able to upload the save.cfg file directly to the forum as an attachment.

Here are the two save.cfg files for the 1132 coin games (I did it twice, don’t ask). They should be identical, but who knows.

The text file has a complete level listing with the number of coins per level, hearts, etc, and at the bottom of the document listings for the levels I’ve played that can only be found in the editor.

frogatto level info.rtf (2.6 KB)

save.cfg (27.5 KB)

save.cfg (27.4 KB)

I truncated the map, there’s another 30-odd levels at the top. You can run the script to generate the map with something like: [pre]perl utils/graph-levels.pl | dot -Tpng > levels.png[/pre] if you’re in the root frogatto folder.
Thanks for posting the list. I’ll see what I can do with the levels folder. :slight_smile:

[s]Finally did the runtime…my final time was 60:08:05, but that’s really inaccurate in terms of what can be done. I only did it only and I hit the throne room at just past 42 mins…and then somehow spent the next 18 dicking around. I don’t know what happened…didn’t take me that many tries or that much time when I first beat Milgram, and he’s one of the bosses I’m best at. It takes me about 90 seconds to two minutes to beat Milgram, and assuming you die two - three times at a minute a piece, that makes 46 minutes easily doable.

It was my first time trying it and someone who really worked at it could probably get way lower.

My other stats for the game were 13031 points, 216 coins 5 full hearts (bought one at Chopple’s) and I think I have a couple pieces of a heart.[/s]

Redone runtime:
The entire game, including beating Milgram (I stopped my timer at “Ugh! You do put up quite a fight” took 45:00.5. I entered the throne room at 40:11.5 (I lose major time in the caves, it’s really quite bad). I lost to him three or four times…I started the winning fight at 43:16, so it does take about two minutes to beat him.

I died ten times in the game (not counting my loses to Milgram) had a total score of 15563, 111 coins (not counting the 40 spent on a heart at the Chopple’s), 5 full hearts, two pieces. By the way, Nene’s house can be done in just under twenty seconds so well worth the investment, especially when you considered that if you die in levels like Plagued Mine, you respawn at the beginning with nothing unlocked, nothing done.

On r4018 I finished in 41:42.1…I hit Milgram at 37:20.2. 1937, 147, 5 hearts (one bought).

Big difference playing in r4018 as opposed to 1.03 or r3772 where my previous testing has taken place. Because of Frogatto’s insane jumping ability, you’re able to bypass most lifts, which also means parts of levels, like unlike the Burning Stone lift, or jumping straight across in is it Hidden Depths that has the straight across lift? Anyway, while it’s a bonus, it also a negative, because it’s really hard to do things like jump onto horizontal lifts because you’re not hopping or jumping, you’re floating and it’s much less controlled. He can do both, but I can’t seem to figure out when and how to handle it. It also takes a lot of fun and hard work out of things like Dungeon Blocks, though some things like that have been already taken out (i.e. Danger House).

He also oddly enough gets stuck sometimes…like literally stuck–jumping down he’ll stick in midair and need to spit out whatever he’s holding. There are other glitches with holding things–burping sounds that make you think you bumped into a bug and lost what you were holding but you still have it, those sorts of things, and they can really slow you down. But I’m guessing someone could go way faster in this version then other versions…but as cool as the super-high jumps are, unless the game is modified for them, I’m not sure I’m a fan. He does also seem to have more impact throwing stuff at Milgram in this version.

I think the jump is not in it’s finished state, yet. I’m not sure what Jetrel has planned. :wink: