Music Request Thread - Forest Update

That works!

Side note to your side note

Fixed text scrolling isn’t necessarily bad but it’s nice to be able to speed through text, especially in a text heavy game. This way the game can cater to be tailored to the needs of the individual. However, if I had a dollar for every time I accidentally clicked past a once-occurring piece of text containing vital storyline information, I’d probably be able to buy a vowel… which is easy to do in a genre of game like an rpg where 75% or more of the games text is filler… In which case, both scrolling text designs and fixed text show their limitations for use in our game.

what to do

A simple fix in design. Random npc conversations should be able to be sped through without exception. Each segment of pertinent storyline text could be sped through without the fear or potential to run right by it by making storyline sequences feature a prompt before clearing the dialogue box… Zelda Ooc was pretty good about allowing the reader to speed through text, but also making it difficult to miss vital information by making the dialogue boxes not disappear immediately until being prompted to move on again after the text had been zipped through.

Just an idear!

We could also provide the option to skip past all long text by holding down a certain key for a few seconds, an option which may be given to the gamer from the beginning or unlocked after beaing the game once, or whatever. Not sure.

Creepy swamp Theme

Triumphant swamp Theme (played for instances such as victory against boss in swamp)

Mushroom Boss Battle

http://www.allacrost.org/staff/user/rain/MushroomMetal2.ogg

Mushroom Metal is a fine and thrilling piece for a boss battle, but probably not for the mushroom one. It sounds more like the theme for some mechanic and rather fast kind of an enemy. Without knowing anything about the mushroom boss, I’d imagine him to be big, mean, pretty slow and maybe poisonous… an imagination that was very much fortified by your Mushroom Boss Intro, of which the rough and bumpy bass seems to be the most characteristic element.
Overall your intro sounded much more bombastic and very different from your battle part, so I’d suggest keeping a bit closer to your intro for the mushroom and using the general idea of your battle for a different boss (robo kitten?).

I really like the harsh first 35 seconds of the Metal Battle (although it deserves a little more depth*, perhaps), but the swamp theme appears to soft to me to be included there - so this might be another reason to use the metal idea somewhere else. Besides, the pitched tunes at the end (1:12) might be a bit too much of a pain in your ears… don’t know whether they are necessary.

• Don’t ask me how, you’re the artist. ::slight_smile:

The creepy theme sounds good to me - very decent with some rather passive danger included - and I like the triumph one - a good idea for a cured forest after the mushroom boss is finally defeated.

yea man, thanks for checking it out

I agree with the assessment that the mushroom boss theme could benefit from being a bit quirkier and thus align itself and its character with the pre boss theme I’ve already written. I’ve tried to present a different musical perspective for frogatto and was doing really well with not integrating heavy distortion guitar-formula for such and such boss battles… don’t see any reason to change now for the most part :slight_smile: lol

Actually, we’ve got that already. The escape key lets you do that. It’s about 1000x more obvious on iOS because a new “skip” button does it instead. I ought to put a hint in the game telling players they can do that (on PC only). Looks like a job for … today. :smiley:

SUPERB

Done (yesterday).

Got a rough mix of Milgram’s secondary Dungeon theme on the table.

http://www.allacrost.org/staff/user/rain/MilgramDungeon2.ogg

Might be a bit too grating. I think I produced too much last night and started losing my hearing midway through the mastering. Lol

The piece today sounds super over bearing. Don’t want to cause ear strain!

[quote=“RyanReilly, post:30, topic:134”]Might be a bit too grating. I think I produced too much last night and started losing my hearing midway through the mastering. Lol

The piece today sounds super over bearing. Don’t want to cause ear strain![/quote]

I’d have to listen to it in-game and compare the mixing; if it’s not mixed to an average volume higher than the other songs, it’s fine - and in all other respects, it’s really good IMO.

Also quite needed; the current theme gets a bit tiring after a couple levels. Excellent choice of stuff to work on. :smiley:

We had the mushroom intro before… this is kinda something I thought might work well for the actual mushroom boss fight. Lots of weird trippy noises which hopefully would work in representing the boss’ character

[quote=“RyanReilly, post:32, topic:134”]We had the mushroom intro before… this is kinda something I thought might work well for the actual mushroom boss fight. Lots of weird trippy noises which hopefully would work in representing the boss’ character

http://soundcloud.com/ryanreilly/mushroomdub[/quote]

Lots of interesting noises, but still a good melody, and a good funky vibe to it.

Also, lots of interesting noises, and … nothing harsh-sounding.

We like. ;D

Seconded - love the new mushroom boss fight! :-*

MilgramDungeon2 doesn’t cause (me) ear strain, either. It appears pretty fitting at least for hectic levels (lots of enemies, maybe even limited time).
The only element I’m not to sure about is the e-guitar-like thing starting on 0:50 (again), as it seems too soft and relaxed for such sinister areas as Milgram’s castle (and should be reserved for beach themes, in my opinion).

Sweet! Thanks for the feedback.

http://soundcloud.com/ryanreilly/mushroom-boss-intro2 (slightly altered mushroom intro)

A couple of “general dungeon level” songs would be nice; not anything for bosses or whatnot, just generic background songs, since we’ve got a relatively anemic set for that environment atm (we’ve got Dungeon.ogg and DungeonBaroque.ogg).

I’ve been making a few more dungeon levels, and feeling the want for some more music exclusive to the area.

No rush because this whole level+new monsters thing takes time. :frowning:

http://soundcloud.com/ryanreilly/skydrummin

Maybe use these as fillins for now. :confused:

I will. I like em. :slight_smile:

http://soundcloud.com/ryanreilly/dumduhdee Here is a piece that would probably work for portraying a light hearted conversation at various points in the game.

I like it! :slight_smile: