Throwable item brainstorming thread

We have throwable ammo objects that are basically “ant-sized things just lying around that you can toss”. Right now, our usage of them isn’t terribly diverse, and this is a good place to come up with new ideas, because implementing new kinds of these is cheap.

I’ll clean up this chat-log-dump later.

Jetrel: marcavis: DDR: I'm momentarily going to open a thread for brainstorming alternate throwable types. As you know,we have crates and all; we also have thunder melons. It'd be cool, and most importantly, _cheap_, to make a bunch of additional throwables that actually have different behavior. [12:13am] marcavis: righto [12:13am] Jetrel: For example, perhaps a glass item, which, upon breaking, spreads harmful glass shards on the ground (which don't go away for quite a while) [12:14am] Jetrel: For another example, perhaps an object which has a platform area on top, and sticks to whatever it hits, allowing you (especially if you've got good aim) to build bridges out of them. [12:15am] DDR: Hmm. [12:16am] Jetrel: perhaps an object which is highly flammable, but only goes off when you hit it with fire [12:16am] DDR: That could work. [12:16am] Jetrel: perhaps an object which sticks to an enemy and detonates later, halo plasma grenade style. >:D [12:16am] marcavis: :o [12:16am] DDR: How about a hive, which deals damage to the nearest objects? [12:17am] DDR: Wasp homing missiles. [12:17am] Jetrel: DDR: yeah, that'd be awesome. [12:17am] Jetrel: I need to figure out graphics for a super-small bug like that, but that could work. [12:18am] DDR: Ok. [12:21am] DDR: How 'bout something, a plant or metal grate, which blocks walking enemies for a bit? [12:21am] DDR: Like a solid block or caltrop. [12:22am] Jetrel: That could be hard to visually separate from things which directly do thrown damage. However, a great way to do that could be to have items which don't die upon hitting a victim [12:23am] marcavis: anvil! [12:23am] Jetrel: :D [12:24am] DDR: Super Smash Bros.: *chink* [12:25am] DDR: Jetrel: Try a growing vine. [12:25am] DDR: I think that'd stand out OK... [12:28am] DDR: Hm, what about an area attack or something on the anvil which stuns stunnable enemies. For example, near ants would flip over on their back. [12:29am] DDR: And, since I'm pretty sure we can do this fairly easily, we could also slow Frogatto down a bit. [12:29am] Jetrel: :/ hmm [12:29am] DDR: We could really go for more effects like that. [12:30am] Jetrel: Me having trouble implementing this. [12:30am] DDR: The Jellybugs were a good start. [12:30am] Jetrel: yeah [12:31am] Sirp: Jetrel: one obvious thing is a light that you throw in a dark cave to make light [12:31am] Sirp: I also like the idea of swallowable things that make frogatto behave differently when he has them swallowed ... like something heavy that makes him do more damage when jumping on an enemy if he has it in his stomach [12:31am] Sirp: and something else that gives him a high, floaty jump [12:31am] Jetrel: Yeah. [12:32am] DDR: The jellybug does the high, floaty jump.

A… flying stick, like in
http://www.yankodesign.com/2008/01/24/flying-stick-camera/
(cool gadget btw)
Flies out in a 20? or so upwards angle, then drops off gently.
As an alternative, an enemy that flies out of its own accord just after being spat.
As an example of the above, proposed over a year ago: make that enemy be a worm, that flies out as a fully-formed butterfly when spat. If that only occurs after some time has passed, make that an achievement.

A bouncy ball of acidic slime, that leaves some acid on the ground it touches. Does a few bounces, then goes away.

Here goes an odd one…
Sports games (well, I only really know about soccer ones, but I’d bet others can often be the same) let you adjust the trajectory of the ball a bit after it’s no longer in contact with the player.
So, a soccer ball that stays afloat a bit more if frogatto jumps after spitting it out.
Didn’t I say this was an odd one?

Frogatto : The adamantium stomach ;D

I don’t know how fed up everyone is with references to other games, but in Super Mario world 2, Yoshi’s Island I liked the water melons: three types of melons, eating a green one lets you spit seeds, a red lets you spit fire, a “frozen” one lets you “spit” ice and freeze enemies. Shooting stuff isn’t such a big deal in Frogatto as was in that game, so except the freezing version these wouldn’t be so exciting.
There could be some “foam” or “sponge”, that grows excessively if touched by water. It could be useful to clog tight spaces in water: Frogatto swallows it on land, jumps into water, spits it out at a certain spot, the sponge gets soaked with water and grows in size. This way he could clog a current, where he couldn’t swim pass otherwise. It could also be useful to prevent some underwater enemies from getting through, like that nasty following fish. Frogatto’s underwater “bubble attack” could destroy the clog again, if for some reason he needs to get by again.
Or: Some small rubber ball that acts as a trampoline, and can be swallowed and took from a place to another.
Something that floats on water, and Frogatto can jump on it while floating, kinda like a movable water-platform. Of course Frogatto isn’t really afraid of jumping into water, but acid might be a bigger problem…

BTW, I really like the “swallowing a worm, spitting out a butterfly” idea :slight_smile: