"This application has failed to start..." problem

I just can?t start the game!

?This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.?

Windows XP SP3, Frogatto 1.0.3 and last beta.

I added msvcp90.dll (Frogatto depending of this missed DLL, as says PE Explorer) to Frogatto folder, but it doesn?t work anyway.

Isn’t there any additional Information about the error? How did you install the game, how do you run it?

I have downloaded http://www.frogatto.com/files/Frogatto_1.0.3_Win.zip and unzip it to some folder.
Then I just started Frogatto.exe.

Absolutely no additional information.

I had the exact same problem… after playing Frogatto on my Linux machine, I went to install it on my daughter’s computer (WinXP) and got the same error on the same version. It just doesn’t run. (and yes, I installed the Windows version on Windows :stuck_out_tongue: )

I’d just like to reply to this to show that it has been read… Essentially, I have an idea what’s wrong here, but I don’t really know how to fix it, and don’t have Win XP to test on anymore. Basically, when it comes to Windows packaging, I don’t really know what I’m doing, and it would be nice if we had someone who was more of a Windows expert (I’m a pretty big Mac fan myself, and prefer not to use Windows).

Thanks for the reply… I’m not a Windows fan either. :slight_smile: I thought about downloading the source and trying to compile it… but that would be using cygwin on a virtual WinXP… not sure if that would get me anywhere or not.

In the meantime I may just download the previous version. (EDIT: well, from the website it doesn’t seem like 1.0.2 isn’t available for download)

compiling the source under Windows with cygwin failed miserably. I get this same error trying to run 1.0.2 which I found on megaupload.

Has anyone ever gotten the Windows version to run?

Two people recently built the game successfully on Windows recently; till__ (not sure if he’s on the forum), and nasty.

I confirm that on windows works perfectly and i success to compile by myself from scratch.
Yes sure need a bit works on (some fixes) … but works!
There are many other windows’s open source project on net, i never success to compile on windows …
… Frogatto yes!

Uhm… and I confirm che the new binary contained in the zip DOESN’T start on winxp (I have winxp SP2), while the old one (with the installer) yes.

The old one, during execution, often reports the error “This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way”. (But in this second case there is a trick to avoid the problem: simply you need to don’t touch that window and focus again the game. You will continue to play without problems).

So I start to think that probably win7 and winxp builded executables could be somehow incompatible. A solution could be (I think) the one I will now explain.

Create two zips for windows: One for winxp and one for win7. I will try to make a build for winxp SP2. If it will work I will give it to you. If someone that have just builded the xp version, perhaps could be a nice idea to share it.

As I said. It is not a such problem for me (I have the old binary that somehow works… now I know what to do to play and to use editor) but however can be for all xp users

Not that I necessarily did anything different, but… wanna try with 1.1?