The new transition & skipping cutscenes

…in the first Frogatto version, there was just a simple fadeout upon changing screens. In the newer ones, there’s this more complex spotlight-fadeout effect.

I don’t like the new effect; it seems to make the transitions take a lot longer and it doesn’t add anything to the game. It just shows the empty area you just left; I don’t think that really helps anyone in any way.

It would be nice if we could have a return to the old effect in the next version.

Also,
the new cutscene skip command allows you to skip through the effects of energy drain during cutscenes, if you have a powerup going. Since cutscene skipping seems to be a popular feature, it seems that it would be better if your energy did not decrease during cutscenes – otherwise it encourages players to skip dialogue so they can keep whatever bonuses they have going.

On the subject of screen transitions… I kinda like the spotlight effect but I agree it probably might best be used for emphasis upon leaving/entering new areas and not for every screen change. Not sure how much this would be though…

Considering that I’m that kind of guy that never turns off battle animations in Fire Emblem…
Yeah, it’s eye candy, but I like the effect and wouldn’t mind seeing some even more decorative ones for boss fights.
Really, half a second for a nicer transition - I think that’s a pretty good trade.

I don’t think it’s even necessarily better, though.

It’s a spotlight that illuminates the empty area where Frogatto was a moment ago. Big deal. Let’s get on to the place he actually is.

That’s how I felt whenever I saw the new spotlight fadeout.

I don’t mind the idea of it fading out when you go to a brand-new, unexplored area (since you’re leaving the old stuff behind, and it’s like one last look at it), but this doing it every single time doesn’t help the game, I don’t think.

I agree the iris effect shouldn’t be used everywhere, but it should get used most of the time. We just changed the default to it, so that changed everything.

[quote=“C. Bob, post:1, topic:106”]Also,
the new cutscene skip command allows you to skip through the effects of energy drain during cutscenes, if you have a powerup going. Since cutscene skipping seems to be a popular feature, it seems that it would be better if your energy did not decrease during cutscenes – otherwise it encourages players to skip dialogue so they can keep whatever bonuses they have going.[/quote]

We welcome a patch to fix this.