Please test dev builds!

We’re planning to release 1.0.1 for computer really soon, to fix a number of things, including:

[ul][li]Flying plant dialog repeating forever.[/li]
[li]Gamepad support.[/li]
[li]Fullscreen mode and window resizing on Windows and Mac resulting in a black screen.[/li]
[li]Crash when holding down in the world map.[/li]
[li]Golden ant being hard to identify and confusing to bring back to Mortimer.[/li][/ul]

If you experienced any of these problems (or others), please try out the development builds available on the downloads page and let us know if there are any problems. Also, please specify what OS (and version) you’re running.

We’ve also made some other small changes, and added a few things, including:

[ul][li]Music and sounds volume controls on pause screen.[/li]
[li]Customizable controls (thanks pH5!).[/li]
[li]Updated music.[/li]
[li]Half hearts.[/li][/ul]

I just downloaded r3385 for Windows, and it seems to be missing the executable and several DLLs. I tried it with the executable etc. from the 1.0 version, but it crashes on startup (not surprisingly).

Well that is odd! I just made a new one; can you tell me if it works! I checked specifically to see that it did include the exe and at least a bunch of dlls.

This one works for me (at least for the few minutes I tried). The screen resizing and gamepad controls are fully functional. Though on my pad I like to have Attack on button 1 instead of 3, so redefinable buttons would be nice. :slight_smile:

just tried to install 1.0.2 on win xp sp3 but the frogatto.exe program (I presume that’s the installer) exits with ‘this program required an unexpected exit’ or some such.

What am I doing wrong this time? I downloaded the windows .zip and expanded it into an empty folder to get frogatto.exe and a bunch of dlls. Is there a checksum for the download? It did unzip OK but that’s what they all say…

Andrew

Well we don’t have an installer (we probably will soon). The zip is just the game itself; so you unzip it, and that’s the whole game in that folder. You say “frogatto.exe and a bunch of dlls” - is there also data folder? data, images, music, etc.?

Ahhh :-[ so that’s why the 100 MB zip turned into a 6 MB folder… I must have pressed the wrong button on WinZip, none of the subfolders made it to the initial install.
A second unzip with IZarc got all the files in the proper place, have started a first run and all seems well. Thanks for your help and patience - looks like a great game!

Andrew

Ah, good! Well thanks for coming here rather than deciding it’s broken.

Just did…I’m on a mac, but for some reason I can’t get into the arcade. I can go through the arcade door but then there are two little arcade machines and I’m stuck. I can jump, stick my tongue out, run every which way, and hit the up button as much I want, but I never enter anywhere. I hit the up buttons and my eyes roll up, honestly ::).

Btw, on a mac, when you download a zip of the program for a mac, as soon as it finishes downloading, it unzips ITSELF. And that’s not something I have set in my settings. It doesn’t download (time-wise) like a zip, and that’s probably because the size of the “zip” downloading is identical to the size of the game file. I’m basically downloading the program itself and it just calls itself a zip while being downloaded, which is really, really, really freaky. Why not have an actual zip available? Zipping the folder knocks off 30mb.

That’s because in that build, that didn’t work yet - it is out of date, and I should upload a newer one, though I’m unsure whether it does work now… I’ve really been not testing myself lately. :-/

It IS a zip, that’s just Safari being… Safari. I believe that’s the ‘Open “safe” files after downloading’ option in the General preferences. In any case, you can rest assured, it IS a zip.

So the build works for the main game but not for the arcade?

It shouldn’t be Safari…my preferences aren’t set that way…hmmm…

Well, it just wasn’t a new enough build to have the arcade working yet. Anyway, I just uploaded a new Mac build.

Downloaded…can load the arcade, will play more later. Two instantly noticeable problems. For some reason in arcade lands I start with one and half out of two hearts, as though I sustained damage entering the arcade. Also, whenever I die in arcade world, I regenerate at the title screen. Meaning that I have to walk back over to the door that says arcade, go to the arcade I want, select the level and re-enter the arcade. Which is annoying in general and particularly so if you’re having a slight problem with a jump over a death fall at the beginning of a level.

But otherwise, like the arcade so far.

I added a checkpoint on the arcade screen. :slight_smile:

Not sure if this is intentional or not, but on Down The RabbitHall, I can’t go backwards–once the screen has forwarded, frogatto can go backwards but the screen doesn’t move to follow him, and is this supposed to be a never ending loop of a level (without a way to die or exit or get that large coin buried in the ground for no reason) or is there something just alluding me?

This also happens on Maintenance Shaft but in a different manner. If I fall for too long the graphics just stop existing and I have frogatto against a sorta maroon screen. He can still move around for a while, as though the objects are there, just invisible, but if he keeps falling for much longer, then even the invisible objects are gone and it’s frogatto against a maroon screen…he can jump, roll over, stick his tongue out, but there’s no where for him to go, up or down.

Out of curiosity, what’s the goal/point of the arcade games?

Also happens on Wild New Wonder, and there seems to be very little difference between the two. Also, forgot to mention earlier, in all the arcade levels, and in many (if not all) of the game place levels (at least on R3772, I haven’t played yet on this build, but if it wasn’t changed it will still be there) you can occasionally hear the sound of shooting (like frogatto shooting someone) in the background even when there are no enemies on that level. I haven’t tested the sound against the sound files to double check that that’s what it is, but that’s what it sounds like. And when you’re playing the game and jumping and trying to get something, it’s very disconcerting because you think that there’s an enemy, or you hit the wrong button and it can really through you off.

The Long Haul does have the same “going back problem” the other levels have. Which is a problem when people shoot at you. But also, every time I enter the level, it’s configured differently…I’ve seen I think at least three different configurations. It’s the only arcade level that actually seems to be interesting and worthwhile playing, but the intense level of difficulty, and the fact that I can’t respawn mid-level is off-putting. Where in the other levels I tried there was no opponent and no goal, and I felt it was a bit like running around a chasing my tail–as in, I had no idea why I was doing it, this is a bit of the opposite. I can’t get nearly far enough in to see if it is just making impossible jumps and timing things perfectly and not getting shot, in which case, while I’ll want to do it, it will get really tiresome, especially if I keep starting over. The house changing every time is intriguing, but not enough for me to play endlessly until I get somewhere. And the inability to go back (especially since this isn’t just a flat out run, run, run or jump, jump, jump level) and there are multiple ways to cross the screen, some better then others and people shooting at me is a real problem here, whereas in the others, who really cares? Aside from not being able to fall and fall and fall and go whee!! The other levels are basically like going through a forest and picking berries off the trees to keep your path but the berries regenerate so your going in circles and you just keep getting more berries anyway…an inability to go back not that much of a hindrance…just go forward a little more.

Just tested the game section in the new build and there’s something wrong with frogatto’s jumping ability…I’m stuck in the Grassy Path level because frogatto can’t jump high enough. He jumps like normal in the arcade but there’s something wrong with him in the game. It’s really, really, weird.

He can jump higher now, not lower, but you have to hold down the button for longer. This is just a test of some different physics.

Not being able to go backwards in arcade modes where that is the case is intentional, and yes they’re meant to be infinite and random. The point will be different for different types - getting the most coins, surviving the longest, etc.; it’s a work in progress though, as you can tell.

Are you loading a game you had from a previous build? That’d explain the problem as the game would load different jumping values than what it expects now, with the current jumping mechanics.

[quote=“marcavis, post:18, topic:70”][quote author=tartaros link=topic=50.msg808#msg808 date=1292201273]
Just tested the game section in the new build and there’s something wrong with frogatto’s jumping ability…I’m stuck in the Grassy Path level because frogatto can’t jump high enough. He jumps like normal in the arcade but there’s something wrong with him in the game. It’s really, really, weird.
[/quote]
Are you loading a game you had from a previous build? That’d explain the problem as the game would load different jumping values than what it expects now, with the current jumping mechanics.[/quote]

It automatically does…for some reason, the way the save files are configured on a mac, there’s one folder under Application Support for Frogatto…no multiple saves, nothing. If you have a save file already, every version of Frogatto on your computer reads it (and will overwrite it). The only way I can have multiple Frogratto files is by copying the App Support folder and renaming it something else so that Frogatto (the application, any of the versions) doesn’t call it. Then, when you want to play that file, move folders around, rename it.

I haven’t had problems before moving from version to version before. But it’s not just using a saved file. It’s also occasionally after having edited a level (and I mean minimally, removing a few bugs, that’s it), and not at all predictable. Sometimes when I jump (especially if I have a bug in my stomach), frogatto does this weird almost slow-mo floaty type thing, sometimes frogatto jumps normally, sometimes higher then normal (I can clear jumps that I normally can’t make unless I wall-to-wall, and then suddenly, my jumping ability will be stunted and I’ll be practically grounded. I can’t figure out exactly what triggers these changes, but the jumps are off, and not just when loading a saved file, so I don’t know.

Some test problems for playing as Nene, don’t know if you want this as it hasn’t gone out yet, but, in R3772, I started playing as Nene in Burn and Bubble…oddly, levels with Nene in R4012 force quit Frogatto if I attempt to play them, so whatever changes were made–I can’t see them. In the build I can play, Nene turn into Frogatto when she tries to swim, also, when she opens doors, can’t jump onto springs (too heavy?), has an incredible propensity for shooting herself, has a heard time earning hearts, is still called Frogatto by other characters, can’t buy anything at the store and also, at the moment, can’t hold anything, so she can’t do things like bring the mole his golden bug. Also, when Nene regens instead of regening with full hearts like Frogatto does, she regens with whatever she last has (obviously, always, half a heart), which is very painful. If you’ve fixed all of that, it’s irrelevant, except that the levels won’t load and force quit the application in the new build. In fact, a lot of levels in R4012 do that, that upon checking, did not in R3772.