MSVC build of 1.2

I made a bunch of modifications to the source to make 1.2 compile with MSVC, and made a binary.

Binary (including the required dlls, but not including any game data) is here:

hDELMEttps://www.dropbox.com/s/asngmpexjp0sh8o/frogatto_msvc_bin.7z

modified source is here:

hDELMEttps://github.com/jamesjrg/frogatto-vs

The github project isn’t a proper fork of the main frogatto git project, because the repository is very massive relative to my internet connection speed and available hard disk.

I haven’t really tested it much, it seems to work but it’s certainly not impossible my MSVC build breaks a feature somewhere.

Also, the anti-spam features on this board are ridiculous, first of all couldn’t register due to a bug in the captcha and had to go ask for help on IRC, and apparently it also isn’t possible for new users to post links.

I hate to say this after you’ve done all that (I’m impressed btw). But I actually already made an MSVC build a few weeks ago as well. But I stopped at the same point as you did. In part because the Mac build wasn’t made.

What we really need is someone who knows enough about Windows stuff to make a good Windows installer, and also to help fix the bugs we have with OpenGL. If you did all this yourself, perhaps that is you?

Making an installer doesn’t require much knowledge at all, you just download Innosetup or some other free install creator, and point it at the files you want to be installed.

What are the OpenGL bugs you are having problems with? I have just played through a bit of the game and haven’t had any problems.

I have some difficulty contributing to the main github repository because it is just so massive. Maybe I could just send diffs, or maybe someone could create a seperate source only repository. Where is your fork of the code? A whole bunch of stuff is currently uncompilable in MSVC without some modification.

Also, it appears the level editor is broken in my binary, though if you already have an MSVC binary I guess it’s not worth me fixing it.

As far as the level editor not working, the following code in level_object.cpp causes the program to fail:

const int base = std::min(32, width/16);
tiles_.push_back(strtol(variation.c_str(), NULL, base));

The reason being if the width is 16 then the base is 1, but strtol doesn’t support base 1. I don’t know exactly what the code is doing here to know what should be changed.

Finally a bit more clear release of win32 source code.
About 2 years ago i do by myself a win32 Visual C++ 2008 project (with that same tiles’s wisth problem on the 2 tiles “blank.png” and “black_tile_overlay.png” size (16x16) … i resolve “manually” transforming the 2 tiles image width/height to double (32x32)).
But my work done was too messy to sharing… Anyway … good work Junichiro and thanks for sharing. :slight_smile:

On some people’s screens, textures are garbaged - from at least one or two screenshots I’ve seen, it looks like they’re pointing at some bad address. Other people have reported that frogatto just won’t launch on their machines.

The beast of the matter is of course that we, ourselves, have no physical access to a machine that’s demonstrating these problems, so it’s pretty hard to even start debugging.

[quote=“Jetrel, post:6, topic:246”][quote author=junichiro link=topic=416.msg1964#msg1964 date=1327448804]
What are the OpenGL bugs you are having problems with? I have just played through a bit of the game and haven’t had any problems.[/quote]

On some people’s screens, textures are garbaged - from at least one or two screenshots I’ve seen, it looks like they’re pointing at some bad address. Other people have reported that frogatto just won’t launch on their machines.

The beast of the matter is of course that we, ourselves, have no physical access to a machine that’s demonstrating these problems, so it’s pretty hard to even start debugging.[/quote]

I played through the whole game and I didn’t have any OpenGL related issues, and also no issues in launching the game, so I’m afraid I’m in no better a position to fix this than anyone else. Quite likely you are aware of all these ideas already, but just in the off chance this of any help:

• if someone with this issue were sufficiently motivated to help, you could look at which textures seem to have problems, and then give them a debug build which logs a load of debug information whenever those textures are loaded or displayed

• if lots of people report the same issue, you could look for a pattern in whether they are all using a certain build, whether they are all using similar graphics cards, whether they are all using a certain version of Windows, etc

• it’s also possible that these people simply have broken OpenGL drivers, or a broken install of some library, or what have you.

And again, you are likely already aware of these ideas, but in cases where the game simply refused to start:

• maybe the frogatto error log shows at what point the game fails

• maybe Windows provides some sort of error message

• at least with MSVC you can make debug builds that can provide detailed stack trace information even if the person running the program doesn’t themselves have any development tools installed

Well, one commonality for when the textures are messed up, is that the reported OpenGL version is 1.0, and almost no extensions. Also it’s always Windows 7 (though I once saw a different, much less serious graphics bug that may have been on XP). So clearly something has to be done differently in the way we link to or use OpenGL, or something. Also, it’s happened since the very first versions. I actually did have a VM where I could reproduce it, but I didn’t fix it, and the VM was upgraded and worked later, so now I can’t reproduce it.

Bumping this, just because I have some vague idea of the answer and I need another post to be able to put external links in. The crash on start-up OpenGL error should be resolved though.