Making Challenging Challenging

Hey y’all,

I noticed that Frogatto doesn’t seem to be much tougher on Challenging than it is on Casual. I think this game has done a good job appealing to the casual market, but there’s a lot of potential to reach the hardcore crowd too. So I’d like to get people talking about little tweaks that could be made to excite a more experienced demographic.

Note I’ve discussed making the bosses more formidable elsewhere. http://www.frogatto.com/forum/index.php?topic=485.0
This thread will cover everything else.

First of all, I’d like to commend the design of the Spikebugs. They’re nearly always my worst nightmare, but they’re still totally fair. Fleeing a Spikebug is the kind of excitement I want to see more often in Frogatto.

However, I was a little bummed to find that a Spikebug can be killed very easily with one shot from the Force Talisman. On Casual, this is a great way to make him less annoying. On Challenging, we shouldn’t be given such an easy way out.

I think the Spikebug should be given extra resistance to the Force Talisman. At least make it take 2 shots, so that if the player wants to take the easy way out it’ll cost more mana.

Also, I think the Kitty soldiers are complete pushovers. I understand that in the context of the story they’re not the most efficient fighting force, but that doesn’t mean I should just be able to run past them without batting an eye. I don’t think I’ve ever taken damage from a Spear Kitty or a Gun Kitty except for when I was experimenting with them (like for purposes of this post).

A few suggestions to make them more formidable without being too frustrating:
-They should see you the moment you step into their field of view, unless their back is turned.
-Spear Kitties shouldn’t forget about you after a single thrust. Might need a 1-second or so cooldown on their attacks to prevent nigh-un-dodge-able spamming, but they should keep chasing you until you get far enough away from them.
-Gun Kitties should have more freedom to aim vertically, or a shorter chargeup time for their gun (probably not both).

Also, this isn’t really on topic, but I’d love to see the kitties be able to accidentally injure each other. Turning enemies against themselves is one of the most satisfying ways to defeat them.

Okay, so… we just found a bug wherein the difficulty is set to casual whenever Frogatto respawns from a checkpoint. So I’m pausing this dialogue about the Challenging difficulty until I can actually play on Challenging.

All right, now that I’ve gotten a chance to actually play with the kitties on challenging, my stance has changed slightly.

I think the kitties show the right level of aggression. I still think Gun Kitties should have increased ability to aim vertically, but I don’t think the need is as urgent as I did.

Also, I’d like to put a point up for discussion: should Spear Kitties be able to walk through other enemies? They’re an exciting adversary on their own, but when a Milgram Block gets between them and their target it kind of neuters them.

I think the moving platforms in North Tower, the ones in the under-construction area that fall when they reach the end of the line, should move faster.

That part’s super-easy, but it’s not necessarily a difficulty concern as much as one of flow. When you die, you get sent back to before that segment, and it’s annoying to have to repeat something that takes so long and isn’t particularly challenging.

Difficulty-wise, I’d suggest adding bats or something. They’re not as threatening as the flying blue things on the next screen, so it’d still maintain a nice curve.

Perhaps if they mowed through the milgram blocks on their way to you, flipping them?

[quote=“DDR, post:7, topic:325”][/quote]
Perhaps if they mowed through the milgram blocks on their way to you, flipping them?
[/quote]

Ha! Love it. I’ve loved the concept of enemies accidentally hurting each other ever since Doom. And this would not only be entertaining as all hell to watch, but it also wouldn’t really reduce the challenge since Milgram Blocks aren’t really all that threatening.

I do think they should be able to just regular run past Gun Kitties though. Maybe give Gun Kitties a ducking-out-of-the-way sprite, but I don’t think even that’s necessary.

Yeah, that sounds like a good idea. Not sure how we’d go about implementing it, but I’m sure Jetrel and I could work out something.

Maybe the Milgrim block would be treated as a background element? Like a fireplace. You can go through it and can jump on top of it, but it does not stop you.

Well, it’s just a matter of setting solidity. That’s been problematic in the past, but this miiight work because it’s fairly simple.