Gamepad won't work

I installed frogatto using debian sid, where 1.0.3 is in the repositories.

Gamepad does not work, well, not properly. I’m using a generic dpad plus 8 button gamepad, works in other applications.

Two of the buttons do generate the jump and attack actions, but they are not adjustable in the menu.

Any help on what to do? I would like to edit the preferences.cfg file manually, yet am unsure about how to do so.

same problem here. using xbox controller. it would be nice to be able to configure the gamepad as i please (right now the D pad is the default, and the action buttons are non-intuitive, plus no button controls dialogue - i have to hit enter on the keybaord). looks like a cool game, but this is preventing me from playing through it.

Our support in the code for gamepads, right now, is pretty sketchy. (For example, I’ve got a brand-new logitech gamepad, and it, too, doesn’t work unless I use a third-party program (usb overdrive, mac-only) to remap the controls).

It’s something we eventually might address, but afaik, none of us know a lot about this. I’m also personally afraid that controller support might be quite non-standardized, in part because there are a ridiculous variety of controller styles out there, each with its own arrangement of buttons, which could make comprehensive support pretty difficult.

Anyone willing to write a patch would really expedite the process - stuff like controller support is precisely the kind of thing best suited to open-source community contributions.

here’s a question: is there any way to disable frogatto’s gamepad support altogether? ordinarily i could use joy2key to forcibly remap the controls, but the game assigns attack to the button i want to use for jump and joy2key doesn’t override that so it just does both at the same time.

Try using this commandline option: --no-joystick
(On windows, you’d make a shortcut to the frogatto.exe, and append that to the path in the shortcut)

modify the target like so?

"C:\ ... \Frogatto\frogatto.exe" --no-joystick

…cause, no dice. :\

I have a patch for the gamepad :
http://gensiteweb.1s.fr/uploaded_files/52/frogatto-1.0.3-yugiohjcj.tar.gz

After applying it, you will be able to use the XBOX 360 Gamepad to move frogatto on the screen :slight_smile: