Fun Level - Pretty hard

Hi. I will post here my first (and probably last) level. I have no time to make other levels.
It is big and pretty hard so it is NOT good for a main path. I think it can be used like an optional cave that can lead you to some treasure room. (“previous level” and “next level” not setted to let them customizable. In the idea they should poin to levels - perhaps “next level” could be a trasure room with a teleporter that leads you to the starting point of this level).

In this whay this path would be totally optional

Music is not setted

Details

Last update: 2011 @ september, 20th
Size: big
Locked Doors: 5 Gates (gold, green, red, silver, purple)

Even if I don’t know how to script it was easy to add the 5 unlock events (with the right-key collide) seeing how it was coded in-game. Also the only “script” I made (the appearance of purple key when you kill the enemy that blocks you the way from the last gate) was pretty easy.

nobun01.cfg (84.0 KB)

Just want to throw out some props for you making a level. I’ll check it out over the next day or two, and if it’s any good, I hope you wouldn’t mind seeing it in-game at some point. :smiley:

Thank a lot, Jetrel :smiley:
Let me know what you think about. I would be happy if I will see it in-game in some point :stuck_out_tongue:
However, as I said at start, it is border-line to you “easy-game-fun” philosophy becouse you will need perhaps some dies to finish it (however it is thinked to be accessed with at least 5 or better 6 hearts. I tested and completed with 3 becouse level edit let you test it only with 3 hearts :P). It contains several save points.

I will be not upset if you will NOT add it in-game, but I will be very pleased if you will decide it can be good and usable in main game :slight_smile:

Hmm, didn’t die with two hearts… I’m a pro! ::slight_smile:
The purple door didn’t open, however, even after killing the bunny in front of it (maybe that’s because I kicked him away from the door before finishing him?)

Generally I don’t consider it too hard: moderate amount of enemies, no insanely difficult & deadly jumps to do. There’s a lot of moving platforms, taking you over quite some distance and you have to get back and forth several times in order to bring the keys to the right door, which is a little teasing without getting annoying.

Overall I enjoyed playing it, but there are some issues with level design:
several walls are absolutely straight (especially at the level borders), which looks odd and not quite realistic for a cavern. Additionally, the cavern is vast (not just a system of tunnels), so I don’t know what place it should represent… some kind of a hideout? - That could explain the complex door system, maybe even the spike traps (which don’t really fit well into this environment).

So, I’d it’s rather challenging, still playable (except purple door?), interesting level design, but not very “logic” compared to others and still lacking some care for details (like walls and maybe some more obstacles & decorations…).

In any case: thanks for creating it! :wink:
(Was this the first user created level? - Then even more so…!)

Kinda. We had a bunch of people randomly sumbit levels without our asking, back in the day in our most ancient copy of the game, and then, when we switched to the new tileset/website/forum, it just … stopped. It was bizarre. We still want people to make levels, and have a vibrant modding community, but I guess when we stopped looking ghetto, people just assumed we didn’t need it anymore.

Funny how that works. ::slight_smile:

Blue collars never belong in gated communities.

::slight_smile:

Perhaps… When you kill the bunny the purple key will appear where the bunny was. You need the purple key to open the last gate. I am not good with scripts so I added only an “on_die” event with a spawn of purple key when the bunny killed considering the position where the bunny was (I didn’t know you could kick it). (It has a simply if… if door is already open spawn a single coin if it is still locked spawn the purple key)

several walls are absolutely straight (especially at the level borders), which looks odd and not quite realistic for a cavern.
Yeah you are totally right. The straightness of the middle wall, for example, was dued to the original design about the first elevator after the first save point. Originally you had to cross up 3 flying bugs and then you could reach elevator. But flying bugs needed to fly around a deadly pit. So the wall was stright to avoid that you could survive. After seeing it was too hard (at least for me) I removed this feature and replace with a normal elavator that reaches the floor. So that wall can be modified easly with a better design using the space available in the left side of the wall For the borders of the cave.... yeah... But I didn't know how to draw them better ^^ I am not a good level designer (becouse I usually be too much geometric) and I tried to do my best to avoid this problem. About the "straight borders" I am afraid I cannot change them due to structure of the level.
Additionally, the cavern is vast (not just a system of tunnels), so I don't know what place it should represent... some kind of a hideout?
Yeah could be an idea... I thinked that you could reach a character that gives you a price (example a piece of heart) to go out of his place xD However... seeing that a cave can be also large I wanted to try to make a large level... that was my starting idea.
So, I'd it's rather challenging, still playable (except purple door?), interesting level design, but not very "logic" compared to others and still lacking some care for details (like walls and maybe some more obstacles & decorations...).
About obstacles and decorations... ideas are all wellcomed ^^ I used also some "castles" obstacles (like spike or other) to make some types of obstacles I couldn't create in other way (consider that I am not good on scripting). About decoration... I have to say that I had great problems on using "plants" (for example plant with spikes that could be better than mecha spikes). I tried but it seems that my editor doesn't want to add "plants". FOr example when I add a "rock" i use my mouse and point (with pencil or square) around empty squares. Empty squares becomes "x" or "rocks". It seems instead that plants (I mean tile plants not enemy plants) don't want to appear in the same way.
In any case: thanks for creating it! ;) (Was this the first user created level? - Then even more so...!)
Thank you for your opinion. I am glad that you enjoied it and that you marked what could be improved :)

[quote=“Nobun, post:7, topic:173”][quote author=EELuminatus link=topic=234.msg1200#msg1200 date=1304199542]
The purple door didn’t open, however, even after killing the bunny in front of it (maybe that’s because I kicked him away from the door before finishing him?)
[/quote]
Perhaps… When you kill the bunny the purple key will appear where the bunny was. You need the purple key to open the last gate. I am not good with scripts so I added only an “on_die” event with a spawn of purple key when the bunny killed considering the position where the bunny was (I didn’t know you could kick it). (It has a simply if… if door is already open spawn a single coin if it is still locked spawn the purple key)[/quote]

Bunnies being kicked is a bug we’ve recently fixed.

[quote=“Nobun, post:7, topic:173”]I tried but it seems that my editor doesn’t want to add “plants”. FOr example when I add a “rock” i use my mouse and point (with pencil or square) around empty squares. Empty squares becomes “x” or “rocks”.
It seems instead that plants (I mean tile plants not enemy plants) don’t want to appear in the same way.[/quote]
While it may not look like it, to the engine plant and bramble tiles are only 1-tile high, so to get them you’d draw only horizontal lines.
The brambles and mushrooms are also usable as 1x1 squares, though.

Oops, now you know I was lazy and didn’t update Frogatto on this machine, yet. :stuck_out_tongue:
Indeed, it works if he’s killed “appropriately”. ::slight_smile:

I improved the level when I had a few time to do it. I tried to make the cavern less straight and changed something else. This version tryes to appear a more realistic cavern even if there are still some walls straight that I was unable to change due to the structure of the level (one of those however should be not reached by player so that one is the less important).

However thank for including in “user made” levels ;D

new version of the level is included in first message (replaced the old one)

However I have a question… I remember that you said that you would add a feature to manage lock doors-gate directly in editor but I couldn’t be able to find anything different from version 1.0.0 on door-gate options. Can anyone add an explaination? (perhaps better if accessible in wiki :P)

thank :slight_smile:

I’m not sure how many other doors this works for at the moment, but if you go under props and select the brown wooden door (‘ez-wood-door’ or something like that) you can just place a lock on top of it in the editor to lock it. It’s a rare case of what you see is what you get. :slight_smile:

Thank a lot, David. I’ll check it when I will have time :slight_smile: