Frogatto for iDevices: Questions

Hi!
First, thanks for the Frogatto game. I bought it for my iPod Touch about two weeks ago, and it is one of my favourite games now.
I have some questions for you:
1-do you have plans to create a Retina display version? I’m going to buy a new generation device, so it would be nice to have brilliant graphics for high-resolution screen.
2-(more general) do you plan to constantly update the iPod version so that it gets all the bugfixes and latest graphics improvements (the ones that are described on the News page of the Frogatto site)?

Many thanks in advance!

Thank you for your questions! Here are some replies:

(1) Our art is drawn natively at the resolution displayed on the iPhone. Since it’s pixel art, re-drawing it all at a higher resolution would be a lot of effort. However, we are planning on implementing an advanced scaling algorithm that will take some advantage of higher resolution displays.

To see what it looks like, this is a screenshot taken with Frogatto as now:

And with the high resolution scaling:

(2) Yes, we are planning and working this very moment on our next version which we will release for PC’s, Macs, and iDevices.

Regards,

David

I actually prefer the first image (the non high res one).

Actually, we’re only planning on using that scaling for the iPad, not the retina display. And you should also note that that’s a somewhat broken algorithm that’s there now, and it should be able to look a lot better. Have you played SNES emulators with special scaling? That’s the goal, to look similar to those.

Hi!
Are there any updates planned for the iPhone/iPod version of the game? If yes, then are there any estimated dates? Thanks!

There are definitely updates planned, and being worked on. It’s taking longer than we hoped, but in the next release there should be arcade mode, iPad support, and probably redone controls (to only have 2 directions)… maybe I’ll work on that last one right now. There are other things being worked on as well (big forest updates), but they won’t be ready for the next release.

Actually, soon we will need iOS testers; if you wanna be one, PM me your UDID. To get it, plug in your device, go to it in iTunes, click on the serial number, and then press cmd+c (Mac) or ctrl+c (Windows) to copy it (it won’t let you select it, but it will copy it anyway).