Fat Frogatto Dialogue Animations

So when playing Frogatto the other day, I noticed that if you enter a dialogue with an ant or a key in Frogatto’s stomach, the dialogue animations are only available for the skinny version of Frogatto. Would a set of fat Frogatto dialogue animations be useful?

It’s relatively simple to clone these over from the skinny Frogatto animations, so it would be work better suited for a grunt (like me) than for Jetrel, who has a gazillion more important things on his plate right now. I could probably have some more done in a couple days, if there’s a desire/need for them.

I?m not Jetrel, but IMHO: yes!

Huh.

Part of me wishes we could solve this “in code”, so that I/we would never have to multiply efforts to clone an animation like this. The problem is - wish as I may, I’m not sure there is a good code solution to this. I can only think of dirty hacks like having frogatto plop the contained creature at his side whilst talking, and we don’t currently have a clean way to “pause” an object and have it sit there, doing nothing - objects instead need to “conform to a protocol” where they each adopt some animation (like thrown, used when stuck to frogatto’s tongue), and all play nice by not doing anything during that animation. So even if the code played nice, the solutions seem contrived.

The other knee-jerk thing is - I do have a fear of multiplying graphic requirements (#characters * #states * #powerups * #emotes), but at this point, we’re looking like powerups are strictly going to be color-shifts, and we’re also looking like we’re not going to add any new graphical “states” to frogatto, since gameplay has stabilized nicely.

:frowning: So yeah; I really wish brute force wasn’t the solution to this, but it really looks like it is. So it would be awesome if you could do this.

Nice work, artisticdude. :smiley:

[quote=“Jetrel, post:3, topic:228”]Huh.

Part of me wishes we could solve this “in code”, so that I/we would never have to multiply efforts to clone an animation like this. The problem is - wish as I may, I’m not sure there is a good code solution to this. I can only think of dirty hacks like having frogatto plop the contained creature at his side whilst talking, and we don’t currently have a clean way to “pause” an object and have it sit there, doing nothing - objects instead need to “conform to a protocol” where they each adopt some animation (like thrown, used when stuck to frogatto’s tongue), and all play nice by not doing anything during that animation. So even if the code played nice, the solutions seem contrived.

The other knee-jerk thing is - I do have a fear of multiplying graphic requirements (#characters * #states * #powerups * #emotes), but at this point, we’re looking like powerups are strictly going to be color-shifts, and we’re also looking like we’re not going to add any new graphical “states” to frogatto, since gameplay has stabilized nicely.

:frowning: So yeah; I really wish brute force wasn’t the solution to this, but it really looks like it is.[/quote]Yeah, I thought there might be a possible code solution, which is why I asked before going any further with this project. Oh well. On the upside, if a code solution does present itself, all unnecessary animations can be easily disposed of. So don’t by any means feel locked into keeping these animations if you find a viable code solution. :slight_smile:

@DDR: Thanks. :slight_smile:

We could just make a ‘swallow’ animation and have Frogatto swallow the object in question and revert to his normal self when entering such situations. In fact, I believe Neorice already made a swallow animation.

[quote=“Dave, post:6, topic:228”][quote author=Jetrel link=topic=316.msg1678#msg1678 date=1313953517]
Part of me wishes we could solve this “in code”, so that I/we would never have to multiply efforts to clone an animation like this. The problem is - wish as I may, I’m not sure there is a good code solution to this. I can only think of dirty hacks like having frogatto plop the contained creature at his side whilst talking,
[/quote]

We could just make a ‘swallow’ animation and have Frogatto swallow the object in question and revert to his normal self when entering such situations. In fact, I believe Neorice already made a swallow animation.[/quote]

That solves absolutely nothing! That literally leaves us in the exact same situation we’re in now.

It doesn’t explain how frogatto can make an object disappear, and then make the object come back, later. That’s the weirdness of the current situation; that the object appears to be “missing” temporarily. It doesn’t matter if he swallows it, or puts it in hammerspace, any solution where the object temporarily disappears is strange.

Trickle trickle. :slight_smile:

The images are committed; I’m holding off on implementation, because I want the exact same frame size for both fat and regular, and your fat ones (no fault of yours, he’s just … bigger) have to have bigger frames.

So I’ll wait till all of spritesheet 3 is finished.

Just popping in to apologize for how long it’s taking me, and to say that I’ll be posting all of the rest of the animations within the next few days. :slight_smile:

Cheers.

Awesome!

:salutes:

Only a few more to go after this (might even finish those later today). :slight_smile:

1. Rock on.

Well damn. 8) LIKE!

And so, unless I’m missing something, this should be the final two. :slight_smile:

Let me know if there are any problems with any of the animations, and I’ll fix them right up.

A thousand thanks to you, artisticdude - we’ve just wired these beauties in.

[quote=“marcavis”]A thousand thanks to you, artisticdude - we’ve just wired these beauties in.[/quote]Awesome! :smiley: Glad I could do something to contribute to Frogatto, even if it was something small like this.

@artisticdude: Yeah - thanks again, man. I seriously would have never been able to get to this, myself. :frowning: Too much other crap to do when I’m basically our only artist.