Any chance this makes it's way into different markets?

The quality of the game is excellent but i’m guessing it would cost too much.

I would imagine that since Frogatto uses OpenGL that XBLA or XBLI is not an option (DirectX only). On top of that, even if you managed to port it I’ve heard that Microsoft charges a lot and takes a hefty percentage of sales for XBLA games.

PSN charges the Dev for odd things like demo downloads for the first 60 days and I don’t know the pay system but I’d imagine the same $50-200k for a license and many other things that XBLA requires is too costly.

WiiWare has potential upside. I believe it supports OpenGL and if a publisher finds that Frogatto is marketable they foot the bill for the license and other expenses. Most publisher deals involve them owning the IP though so unless you retain the rights it’s definitely not ideal.

I have no info on Steam but it may be a good option for a sequel or future IP since Frogatto is already free on PC. A sequel containing the original as a bonus would probably help sales too.

I gotta say that as a fan of the game this is a bit of a weird first topic and I don’t have that much knowledge of the videogame market beyond talking with some developers so maybe some of what I’ve posted is off. As an SNES and Genesis era fan I guess I’d just love to see this game get as much attention and make as much profit (more good games for me) as it can.

Just thought I’d entertain the idea of expansion, however off some of my data may be. A good platformer does not come often these days.

You’re right about the non-OpenGL platforms. It may have been possible before, but now that it’s been optimized for the iPhone, it would be very hard/messy to make it work with another graphics library.

I think I heard most of them have lowered their prices now, so it’s probably at least only $10k or so. But, at this point we’re not ready to invest that much. WiiWare might work, maybe… I guess bottom line, I forget which consoles had which issues and how feasible what is, but for now we’re just focusing on improving the game, and growing its popularity on the platforms it’s already on. We are certainly open to considering other platforms for the future though.