Advice for a CS student

Hey, Frogatto team!

My name is Michael and I’m a second year undergraduate computer science student. I’m really passionate about programming and the main motivation behind getting into this field of work has always been creating content someone else would enjoy.

I appreciate you guys making the engine open source, I think it’s awesome that other people can benefit from it.
I’m sort of planning my summer, even if it’s a few months away and I’m looking for a project I can contribute to and through which I can broaden my knowledge and exercise programming skills. C is my language of choice, Python comes close after and lately I’ve been writing all my school assignments in C++ in order to get used to it. I haven’t worked on a true OOP project yet.
So with that in mind, I’m thinking of using and working with the Frogatto engine to get a feel on how OOP code should be designed, how graphics are generated and see some real C++ code in action.

Do you think this is a good idea? What would you suggest to someone passionate that wants to learn how games, graphics are made? Think of me, as a way way younger version of yourself that’s wondering which way to go.

Michael

Yeah, the frogatto engine might be a good candidate. One thing we sure wouldn’t mind would be potential code contributions. We have occasional oddjobs we need to have done, and the more people who can help out, the better.

The best way to find out about these is by hanging out in our irc channel, which is #frogatto on irc.freenode.net. What we need done is a moving target, and we generally just keep it informal, finishing stuff in about the time it’d take to file a formal feature request on a bug tracker.