Achievements from the arcade mode

Git commit 3f51a265025e24a60991f3df5974a60df44d72c0 .

Is it intended that a player also gets things counted towards achievements in the arcade mode too? A fine example of this is to start a fresh instance of the game and collect 10 coins in the coin race.

I’d find it more natural for there to be a separate achievement category per type of arcade game instead of all in-game actions being pooled in the same lot. This also somewhat extends the replay value of the game for power players and achievement grinders.

Hmm, I don’t think there’s much to worry about, here. The most liikely situation would be the player getting a ‘pocket money’ award for their 10th coin; that achievement is almost impossible to not get, anyway.
On the other hand, if the player beats some 30 levels of the coin race to get the “Gold Hoarder” achievement… well, then he deserved it! Also it turns out to help since, given the way that achievement is coded right now, you have to forgo spending at the shop in story mode, which is kinda frustrating and a bit of a bad design. Though that, also, will be rendered less problematic once we… “rework the economy” in the future, by also having enemies drop money.

So this’ll fall into a category of future dreams and hopes of “eventually get around to sanitizing achievements”?

Your paying customers on iOS will not appreciate much yoyo-ing and zeroing with their achievements / game progress if other games on the market are of any indication (recent example: Jetpack Joyride by Halfbrick [1]). Perhaps this is not the most urgent of your concerns at the current stage, I do admit.

I’m looking into FML as a language so I might take a stab at this myself in a month or so if my confidence with it builds up any. If I’m the only interested and hence vested party for fixing this, in the spirit of open source, as stated previously, I’ll try to do so myself.

[1] This would link to iTunes iOS App id457446957 - I’m not allowed to post external links

I was a bit confused at first by your “yoyo-ing and zeroing” expression. There’s no risk of losing achievement data, since it’s not saved in any particular savefile.
Which, now… and only now, really, poses a problem - since we just implemented multiple save slots! Now we have to store the achievements in the save files (No fair having your brother steal them all from you, etc.) and that’ll by design mean that achievements acquired in the arcade mode won’t carry over to saves, and vice versa.

So, yeah, the recent developments up the priority on that, by quite a bit.

I guess the first thing we should do is link save-files to achievements. After that’s done, Rotonen, I’d be happy to assist with fixing up the achievements… I put most of them in there in the first place, so I feel I should help with the clean-up. My original idea was that, by now, we’d have some reported stats on what had been achieved. However, I think that either the reporting server isn’t working at the moment, or achievements aren’t reported to it. To be honest, I focused more on implementation than balance, initially, and there was never any follow-up. :frowning: