Please test dev builds!

Think I found a problem in build 1.0.3. If you are playing a game that you haven’t saved, the credits [spoiler](the whole tea with Milgram thing)[/spoiler] never finish and you get stuck. The only way to exit is to hit esc and go back to the title screen, but you can’t go back to your game or even finish the credits.

I thought that only happened if you pressed esc at the wrong time in the credits. And I figured it didn’t matter much, since as you said, you can get out of it. It goes back to the titlescreen after the credits end anyway.

As for Nene, she’s far from complete, and it is not surprising that she’s fairly broken.

[quote=“crimson_penguin, post:22, topic:70”]I thought that only happened if you pressed esc at the wrong time in the credits. And I figured it didn’t matter much, since as you said, you can get out of it. It goes back to the titlescreen after the credits end anyway.

As for Nene, she’s far from complete, and it is not surprising that she’s fairly broken.[/quote]

Yeah…I realized that it was pressing esc because I did another timed runthrough (therefore, no save) and didn’t press escape during the credits because I wanted to see where the problem was. However, and I don’t know if this is a problem or planned, after the credits roll you go back to the title screen. So if you played all the way through and didn’t save, there is no opportunity for you. Considering things like runtime achievements etc, there mights be people who run there way through the game and don’t save. I know that when testing it, I certainly didn’t. That might be something to consider, I way to save your game after Milgram.

Did a runtime test on r4018 and found some problems, here’s a cross-posting of what I posted in the achievements testing board

On r4018 I finished in 41:42.1…I hit Milgram at 37:20.2. 1937, 147, 5 hearts (one bought).

Big difference playing in r4018 as opposed to 1.03 or r3772 where my previous testing has taken place. Because of Frogatto’s insane jumping ability, you’re able to bypass most lifts, which also means parts of levels, like unlike the Burning Stone lift, or jumping straight across in is it Hidden Depths that has the straight across lift? Anyway, while it’s a bonus, it also a negative, because it’s really hard to do things like jump onto horizontal lifts because you’re not hopping or jumping, you’re floating and it’s much less controlled. He can do both, but I can’t seem to figure out when and how to handle it. It also takes a lot of fun and hard work out of things like Dungeon Blocks, though some things like that have been already taken out (i.e. Danger House). Btw, why was the cool second part of Danger House taken out? While frustrating, it’s fun, and you need those kinda skills to go the game.

He also oddly enough gets stuck sometimes…like literally stuck–jumping down he’ll stick in midair and need to spit out whatever he’s holding. There are other glitches with holding things–burping sounds that make you think you bumped into a bug and lost what you were holding but you still have it, those sorts of things, and they can really slow you down. But I’m guessing someone could go way faster in this version then other versions…but as cool as the super-high jumps are, unless the game is modified for them, I’m not sure I’m a fan. He does also seem to have more impact throwing stuff at Milgram in this version. Some of the stuff I mentioned may be purposeful, but unless a lot more changes are planned, or you’re writing an easy version or testing an ungraded frogatto, the super jump doesn’t seem to work with the game levels as they exist now.

Well the high jumping stuff is really just an experiment. And when we say “dev build”, we mean it - you’ve played this version a heck of a lot more than anyone else. :wink:

Well, with those abilities, the dialogue about not being able to fly needs to go :wink:

Another odd thing with the new dev build, is that when I open a level in the editor and play it, when I die, I have an odd tendency to go back to the title screen, instead of just the beginning of the level.

Bug in build r4018 having to do with loading saved games. The system works fine until To Nene’s House. Things save fine, and you can go back and load them. Once you save in To Nene’s House, when you go to load the game, you get a black screen and the program force quits. The problem isn’t with the save file, the game loads perfectly fine in previous builds. It doesn’t seem to be where you save though…I tested saving and loading levels through till Secluded Hut…no change. I also tested playing through to Secluded Hut without saving, with the idea of using the map to go back to Frogatto Grotto and saving in Grassy Path – the only level I’ve successfully saved on and loaded from in r4018. But it didn’t work. The transport didn’t work, so I had to go back to beginning on foot. Once I did get back to the Grotto, I tried the transport there and was able to go back and forth. Then I went to Grassy Path, saved, and tried to load and it didn’t work. Idk.

Also, on another note…a couple of the hearts transports in the game don’t work the first time you step on them. You have to stand on the pedestal, get off, and get back on. And this seems to be true, in levels like Gnarled Knoll, or Bon Bosque in every version of the game that I’ve tried. Some of the pedestals work right away, and some don’t.

in r4018, sometimes milgram pods can hit you with extreme damage–like you lose two hearts damage. I’ve noticed this in the Fan House, where I’m stuck, because I keep dying, and I can’t just go back to the title screen and load the game because that doesn’t work, so I’m stuck in the house unless I can avoid running into these pods. The odd part is that in some parts of the house, the pods act normal, while in others the pods cause extreme damage. And where they cause extreme damage, they don’t always…maybe it’s how they hit you or how you run into them. But it’s killing me on levels that are difficult enough as is, and where if you die you respawn at the beginning, and this is early in the game. I don’t know if you were attempting to make the game harder or longer or what, but the changes are making the game less and less like the old school style that made me like it so much. If tiny minions become harder then bosses it’s just one more step closer to a kill-everything-to-clear-the way-game. I liked the choice of killing to clear the way or avoiding bugs and pods, and some of the fun was playing the game more then one way. There’s a whole thread of various proposed goals to be added to the game, but the new version gets rid of the ability to play a lot of those goals, and it just changes the game. I don’t know how much you guys are planning to keep, but it’s affecting my ability to test the build.

Normally, I can play through, more than once, and test all sorts of things. Here, I’ve only been able to make it through on a speedrun, which does not test a lot. I’m trying to play through now as fully as possible and it’s taking forever and I’m currently stuck, and I have to keep the program running. At the moment, the game really isn’t playable. Not in a normal fashion or a testing fashion.

I played further into r4018, into Eerie Arbor or Gloomy Glade, and saved and quit. Couldn’t load in r4018, it forced the program to shut down. Couldn’t load in 1.03, it forced the program to shut down, which earlier saves had not. It wouldn’t load in r3772, in forced the program to shut down. When I switched the load file to one from 1.03 or r3772, r4018 had no problem loading it, although the jumping issue still persisted.

Speaking of which, starting a new game in r4018, the jumping is all over the place. Sometimes swallowing a bug gives you great new jumping abilities, but it seems to depend both on which bug (the small purple ones are great for it), which level, and how high in the air you already are. He’s all over the place.

Yeah, jumping is definitely weird now. Can you attach the save?

The first is from when I got a good way into the forest…and it will not load in r4018, r1.03 or r43772

The second is saved at Stonepipe Meadow…it will not load in r4018 but it will load in 1.03 and r43772

It should be noted, that while that is where the game is saved, I did play farther…beat the airplane boss for example, but I didn’t play much farther.

I did attempt to load the second game in any earlier build of Frogatto, save it and load it in r4018, but no go. There’s something from the new build that it is retaining. I do know that it’s retaining Frogatto’s crazy jumping abilities. Try playing the second save file in 1.03 or r3772 and Frogatto jumps like it’s r4018.

save.cfg (81.4 KB)

save.cfg (41.9 KB)

Halfway through the Twisted Trees level in build r4018, there’s a bomber that’s stuck. One of the tree’s has about four bombers around it…(at different times) and they might all start moving, but as soon as this particular one hits this stop, it gets stuck. Can’t bomb, can’t nothing. You can swallow it and spit it out, and then it generally does not get stuck again, and if you run into it you can sustain damage.

Picture attached. If this wasn’t a still, the only difference would be that the bug would be flapping it’s wings and there would be the leaves falling and coins glittering in the background. Otherwise, this is exactly how much movement is on my screen now.

[quote=“tartaros, post:32, topic:70”]Halfway through the Twisted Trees level in build r4018, there’s a bomber that’s stuck. One of the tree’s has about four bombers around it…(at different times) and they might all start moving, but as soon as this particular one hits this stop, it gets stuck. Can’t bomb, can’t nothing. You can swallow it and spit it out, and then it generally does not get stuck again, and if you run into it you can sustain damage.

Picture attached. If this wasn’t a still, the only difference would be that the bug would be flapping it’s wings and there would be the leaves falling and coins glittering in the background. Otherwise, this is exactly how much movement is on my screen now.[/quote]

Thanks for posting the bug; you’ve kicked me in the butt hard enough to get a (unfortunately half-baked) fix in. What caused this bug is that we refactored the game, now, to treat thrown versions of an object as a completely different type of object, in order to prevent behavior leakage (e.g. so objects don’t randomly start doing stuff when they’re on their backs).

In frogatto, we have a concept of “feet”, which is used to detect if something is “standing” or not, to handle friction with the ground, and to stand on those “passthrough” platforms, like branches. Fliers should not have feet; even if they’re next to the ground, they should use their air-style movement - most especially, if they fly through a branch or something, they should do just that: fly through it, rather than landing on it and starting to walk. Our thrown objects need feet.

Unfortunately, we have a bug where trying to switch from having feet, to not having feet; as in a thrown object turning into a flier, whilst lying on the ground, causes an assert (that is, the game immediately quits; we told it to do so when some internal condition happened). Obviously that’s not desired, so we need to look into that - what I did is just a quick-and-dirty thing which makes the object always fall through ‘passthrough’ platforms (aka branches), but that’s not desirable for the thrown versions.

We’ve now fixed this the right way.

By the way, I put up new dev builds for Mac and Windows a couple days ago.

In the new dev build the Fan House is still “broken” after beating the Elder Boss. You can’t get up the lift in the first room. And in Foreboding Forest, between the removed branches and the lack of insane jumpability, the coins at the tops of the trees are not always accessible. No matter how you go at them. There are two coins at the top of the first tree that are just not accessible. Also, the heart transporters, not all of the work when you first jump on them. Some you still have to get on them off then on to activate. That’s fine in places like Starlit Cove where there are no bugs and it just takes you time, but in Bon Bosque it seriously does.

I like that the mole knows that you have the bug and gives you directions but that bug will not go into that cage. Doesn’t matter how well it’s aimed, it doesn’t go.

This build can also process saved games without screwing up jumps, etc, which is nice.

I liked that the first boss was harder, but I’ve been playing the game a really long time. That boss took dozens of times my first time through, and it took dozens of times through the game before I could make it without getting hit. Also, it’s a variable boss—sometimes there are plenty of bombs to throw and sometimes you have to wait a few rounds. If the bridge gets knocked out at that rate, I think it might be a little too hard for early. Maybe it would be possible to choose between easy, medium and hard when playing the game? That could also take care of the Danger House room 2 (which I really miss). Also, I’m not sure if this is me or the new build, but getting that big coin in Stonepipe Meadow is ridiculously hard…it’s always been hard, actually the hardest thing in the game for me. It’s harder then the old second room of Danger House, any of the bosses, Dungeon Blocks. Even playing on hard, this should be made easier IMO.

Only gotten a little bit in and not at all comprehensive, but that’s what I have so far. Hope it’s helpful.

Um, another bug in Secluded Hut.

If you spit out the golden bug and swallow it again, and then go talk to the mole he asks when you’re going to find the golden ant and Frogatto replies that he’s working on it. When the ant is in his stomach. When you try to spit it out again and reswallow it, the ant bumps up against something invisible, explodes and turns into a heart. WTF?

I found two bugs I think on 4774. I’m using Ubuntu 11.04.

1. Frog want to go left on part of the time. I tried every button to stop it from going that way. Keep going that way for unknown reason and then it go back to normal.

2. Achievement sometimes pop up for unknown reason.

=================================================

Is there any change to add a check box for sync to keep the game screen smooth? Reason is that I seen some tearing at the top of the screen when the frog is running fast.

What about add a screen size option? One of the arcade games screen is too big. I couldn’t see the bottom screen. It the water one.

That first one is a bug with gamepad support (at least, that’s the only thing I’ve heard of that matches the description).

Achievements like what? Are you sure you didn’t actually achieve something?

I enabled vsync for Mac, but I don’t know how to for Windows or Linux - we would welcome a patch if you do.

I’m confused what you mean about screen size. All the coin race levels are bigger than the screen, but the camera moves around.

Never mind about those Achievements reports. I replay the game with the old settings deleted. Those are working like it should. Sorry about that.

Anyway here is the Coins water game which is cut off on the bottom of the screen. Very see the top of the coins on the bottom on the right side. This is my wide VIZIO TV screen size by the way. I wish it have a smaller game screen size. So that I can see the whole window box. I have no idea why the game screen that big. Snapshot: https://sites.google.com/site/o0kinghanco0o/Home/Screenshot.png

Oh yea I fix the game screen by turning on the 2nd Sync to VBlink in the OpenGL Settings on NVIDIA X Server Settings. No more tearing at the top screen.