Mac Mini G4, game won't launch

Hello, I found out about this game because I downloaded and played it on my Open Pandora. I love it so far!

So when I went to your site I wanted to find out who made it and discovered there was ported to other systems as well. Is the Mac version compatible with a G4 proc? I know I read somewhere that you didn’t like that the Mac store was Intel only.

There is no error to report, I double click on the Frogatto.app and it will bounce for a second down in my dock and then disappear. Hopefully I just doing something stupid.

Anyway, please let me know if the game will work on a Mac Mini 1.42 ghz PPC G4 with 1 gb ram and ATI Radeon 9200 with 32MB of DDR SDRAM with AGP 4X support.

Thank you for your time!

We don’t necessarily dislike that the Mac App Store is Intel-only, but we do want everyone to be able to play.

The hardware should be fine (I think), BUT, in this last version we dropped OS X 10.4 support. So it’ll only work if you’re running 10.5+. 1.0.3 will run on 10.4, and it’s possible we’ll make it compatible again (it’s just language auto-selection that uses a 10.5 feature), but I wouldn’t count on it.

I just installed 10.5 and the application launches now. Thank you for your help and thank you for releasing a cool game!

It doesn’t run on Tiger, which is a shame because I downloaded the 1.1.1 mac binary just for this. The icon bounces in the dock and then disappears on my PowerBook running 10.4.11. It says:

Frogatto.app/Contents/MacOS algarcia$ ./Frogatto 
dyld: lazy symbol binding failed: Symbol not found: _system$UNIX2003
  Referenced from: /Users/algarcia/Desktop/Frogatto 1.1.1/Frogatto.app/Contents/MacOS/./Frogatto
  Expected in: /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib

dyld: Symbol not found: _system$UNIX2003
  Referenced from: /Users/algarcia/Desktop/Frogatto 1.1.1/Frogatto.app/Contents/MacOS/./Frogatto
  Expected in: /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib

Trace/BPT trap

However I did test this same binary on the same PowerBook running Leopard 10.5.8 and it runs just fine, same as my MacBook Pro with El Capitan. Not that anybody cares in 2018 but that’s what I found out today.

Yeah, that’s a bummer - honestly all we can offer is that the source is available on github - so if you’re able to build your own personal not-for-redistribution copy that runs on the old machine, knock yourself out.

Sadly the new versions might be a bit tough, because they rely on later versions of OpenGL, but if you poke further back in the git history, you can find a tag for earlier versions of frogatto back when the whole game+engine was in one repo. Building boost for it was a huge PITA back then, only because I was doing multiple archs/fat binary stuff.

Best of luck if you try - for better or worse all of my real effort has to go into the upcoming version.