All the stuff I'm noticing as I play through

This is a bit of a laundry list, I’m sorry. But I’m just getting everything I find that seems significant. Note that I’m probably going off of some of my biases as a gamer sometimes so I might not be the best person to be testing all this. Either way…hopefully it will be some help! I’ll update as I go along.

(This is on…I think the latest version of Frogatto? Might be a little outdated, though I updated with git not too long ago. This is surely latest anura.)

• Tutorial is too wordy.
  • Chest opening effects are a little bugged.
  • Low HP warning (heartbeat) is too obtrusive.
  • Great introduction to how keys work.
  • Splash Hop is rather hard for a second ‘level’.
  • Shooting an enemy against an invincible enemy should kill the spat enemy.
  • Save before stonepipe flats should be moved to the beginning of stonepipe flats.
  • When loading the player’s save/reviving player, the player should not have to start with half a heart!
  • Big black splotch in Stonepipe Flats
  • Dash-jump roll caused me to fall off a platform at one point.
  • Wallgrabbing is…eh. I dunno. Needs work?
  • Rock-o-Fort lags my computer. (Cave area)
  • There’s no way to see your money.
  • Cave entrences/exits are kinda hard to notice sometimes.
  • Dieing right after loading causes the game to boot you back to the titlescreen.
  • The player-NPC dialogs are funny. I like 'em.
  • As a suggestion, it would be cool to have directional super-projectiles.
  • Oh, and I fired a superfireball at a flying plant. The game crashed. Don’t know why.

EDIT: Changed second entry.

Thanks for the feedback! :smiley: I’ve fixed one thing and investigated some of the others, but I haven’t got to everything yet.

• Tutorial is too wordy. Agreed; but it’s mostly skippable so I don’t think it’s an issue. If anyone is having troubles, the wordy tutorial will help.
  • Chest opening effects are a little bugged.
  • Low HP warning (heartbeat) is too obtrusive. Proposed fix to Jet, waiting on response.
  • Splash Hop is rather hard for a second ‘level’. It is! Jeez, I’m having issues running it with hax.
  • Shooting an enemy against an invincible enemy should kill the spat enemy. Agreed; but I don’t know how to fix this.
  • Save before stonepipe flats should be moved to the beginning of stonepipe flats.
  • When loading the player’s save/reviving player, the player should not have to start with half a heart! When loading a save, I think we want to keep things the way they were when the game was saved… though, indeed, perhaps half a heart is a little extreme. I don’t want to introduce save-scumming. Perhaps starting the player off with checkpoint-recharged hearts after an hour’s break would be a good compromise; that way you can start playing again without being incentivised to die right at the start to recharge their health from the respawn.
  • Big black splotch in Stonepipe Flats
  • Dash-jump roll caused me to fall off a platform at one point.
  • Wallgrabbing is…eh. I dunno. Needs work? Any specific suggestions? I don’t think we’re changing this one.
  • Rock-o-Fort lags my computer. (Cave area)
  • There’s no way to see your money. UI is a work in progress atm. There will be a way. :slight_smile:
  • Cave entrences/exits are kinda hard to notice sometimes.
  • Dieing right after loading causes the game to boot you back to the titlescreen. Fixed that.
  • As a suggestion, it would be cool to have directional super-projectiles.
  • Oh, and I fired a superfireball at a flying plant. The game crashed. Don’t know why.

Sorry, I should have been more clear on that one.

Well, Frogatto’s wallgrabbing is a bit cumbersome for me because it doesn’t consistently grab onto walls. For example, if you are up against a wall to your left, you have to tap the left key after you jump. The way I’m used to it, holding the left key ought to make you grab onto the wall as soon as Frogatto stops traveling upward. This is compounded by the fact that it does this sometimes even when you jump towards a wall normally, which caused me to fall many times while trying to climb a vertical passage. I became especially frustrated when fetching the Golden Ant, largely because of all the wall jumping involved.

However, auto-grabbing the wall like I’m used to leads to a specific problem: If the player is trying to fall down a hole, they might accidentally stick onto the wall and break their fall. A possible solution is to make the player slide down the wall at about the same speed as they would fall. (How Ori in the Blind Forest does it.) This of course has its own issues, especially in that you must be very fast about your wall jumps. (Which would break your fall.)